Mass Murderer Demands Acquittal in Norway Attacks
In Oslo Norway, the trial of mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik ended Friday, June 22 with the self-confessed murderer demanding his acquittal over the bombing and shooting attacks that took place last year killing 77 individuals.
Breivik argued he was defending his “ethnic group” and on the last day of testimony, he told Judge Wenche Elizabeth Arntzen in Oslo District Court that he “acted on behalf of my people, my religion and my country.” He continued by adding “Therefore I demand that I be acquitted.”
Furthermore, during Breivik’s 45-minute statement he warned of new attacks and said the following, “My brothers in the Norwegian and European resistance movement are out there, following this, and are preparing new attacks. They can be responsible for as many as 40,000 deaths.”
At the close of the statement, Breivik’s defence attorney Geir Lippestad asked for his client to be acquitted for his acts of violence, which is the most deadliest act of violence in Norway since World War II, citing that Breivik “thought he was acting out of necessity to protect Norway.”
During the 10-week trial, Breivik was ordered to psychiatric care and was found to be legally insane by court-appointed psychiatrists who say “his acts were fuelled by delusions and a desire for violence.”
However Lippestad challenged this notion saying his client was well aware of his intention and even spent years writing a 1,500 page manifesto as a “political activist” (the manifesto called for a Christian war to defend Europe against the threat of Muslim domination).
“He knew killing is wrong in our culture . . . He opted to kill. That is what terrorists do. They claim the right. The end justifies the end. That is how a classic terrorist thinks,” Lippestad told the media after the trail adjourned.
Two survivors and three individuals related to the victims gave statements in court on Friday and the crowd gathered in the gallery applauded their remarks, while Breivik showed no emotion, which mirrored his behaviour during the 10-week trial.
According to Judge Arntzen the court will deliver its verdict on August 24.
*Image Courtesy of REUTERS/Heiko Junge