Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
Bollywood

Sanjay Dutt: I Was Innocent Then, Still Am

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Sep, 2017 12:35 PM
  • Sanjay Dutt: I Was Innocent Then, Still Am
He has fought battles with drug abuse, faced a jail term and has had a tumultuous personal life. Actor Sanjay Dutt says that there are many lessons he has learnt and that his "innocence" is intact.
 
Sanjay, who had made a rocking debut in Bollywood with "Rocky" in 1981, put his personal life in jeopardy through drug addiction, and his life took a turn for the worse when he was arrested for illegal possession of weapons and was convicted.
 
Since each experience of life teaches one something, what has he learnt from the dark years of his life?
 
"A lot... I learnt a lot. I was innocent then, I am still innocent, but there are some life lessons learnt," Sanjay told IANS in an interview here ahead of the forthcoming release of Hindi film "Bhoomi", his first after being released from jail last year.
 
The actor, 58, was arrested for illegal possession of arms in a case related to the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts, in which over 250 people were killed and several hundred were wounded.
 
 
A father of three, Sanjay says the present times are frightening for parents who constantly have a reason to worry about the security of their children.
 
"Bhoomi" has a father-daughter theme, and Sanjay expressed concern about how vulnerable he feels as a parent considering the rise in the number of crimes against girls.
 
"It's scary... I mean kids are not even safe in school, after whatever happened to the little girl in Gurgaon (rape of a five-year-old school girl), it can horrify any parent. Everybody has to be very careful as far as their kids are concerned. It's a frightening time for parents regarding the security of their children.
 
"As a father, I always tell my kids to do their activity and come back home, spend time with us, spend time at home, because at least that is safer... 'Baahar mahaul sahi nahi hai (the environment outside is not right)'. I think this is the time when we not only should start respecting women but also be careful and protective towards children," said the actor, lovingly called Sanju Baba in the film industry.
 
 
Known for movies like "Naam", "Sadak", "Khalnayak", "Vaastav" and "Munna Bhai M.B.B.S", Sanjay has a daughter named Trishala, whom he had with his first wife Richa Sharma who died of brain tumour in New York in 1996. Trishala lives in the US.
 
He also has twins -- a boy named Shahraan and a girl named Iqra -- with his third wife Maanyata Dutt.
 
Given that his life has been full of troubles, is there any chapter of his life that he would like to re-write?
 
"No," said Sanjay, preferring to talk about "Bhoomi", which he described as an "amazing story of a father and daughter.
 
Directed by National Award-winning Omung Kumar of "Mary Kom" fame, "Bhoomi" features Aditi Rao Hydari as Sanjay's onscreen daughter.
 
 
 
"The film talks about the special bonding of a parent and a child. It's a special story about everything that I believe in -- women's empowerment and gender equality. And Omung is a fantastic director, Aditi is a very good actress... The whole shooting was superb," he said.
 
Was he nervous about facing the camera after a long time?
 
"No," he was quick to respond.
 
But which was more exciting in comparison -- when he faced the camera for the first time in life, or facing it after spending some troublesome years and starting afresh?
 
"I swear I cannot remember my first day of facing a camera... It was 1979 or 1980, I guess... long, long back," said Sanjay, who finds the evolution in Hindi cinema very positive.
 
 
"It is more professional now. Films are made on time, which is great. People are doing one film at a time, so they are focused, which is a good sign," said Sanjay, who is excited about starting work on Tigmanshu Dhulia's "Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster 3".

MORE Bollywood ARTICLES

Justin Bieber Taking Time For Personal Life

Pop star Justin Bieber will record new music in the future but needs some time for himself right now.

Justin Bieber Taking Time For Personal Life

Angelina Jolie Denies Accusations Of Exploitative Child Casting

Angelina Jolie has defended her casting process for new film 'First They Killed My Father' and said the accusations are false and upsetting.

Angelina Jolie Denies Accusations Of Exploitative Child Casting

Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Next Is Based On 'Hope, Inspiration'

Filmmaker Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra today revealed that his upcoming Bollywood flick, ' Mere Pyaare Prime Minister,' which is based on the story of a mother-son relationship, teaches about hope and taking charge of a situation.

Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Next Is Based On 'Hope, Inspiration'

People Must Realise Movies Are Fictional, Not Real: John Abraham

Actor John Abraham, who is actively involved in spreading awareness about social issues in India, says people need to realise that films are fictional and not real, and realise where to draw the line when it comes to imbibing some facts.

People Must Realise Movies Are Fictional, Not Real: John Abraham

Meeting Sylvester Stallone Will Be Dream Come True: Tiger Shroff

Meeting Sylvester Stallone Will Be Dream Come True: Tiger Shroff
Asked if he will be meeting Stallone while prepping up for the movie, Tiger told IANS over phone from Mumbai: "That will be a dream come true if I get to meet him sometime during the process of 'Rambo'." 

Meeting Sylvester Stallone Will Be Dream Come True: Tiger Shroff

'Toilet: Ek Prem Katha' Makers Argue In Copyright Case

A local court here on Monday heard in part the arguments in a case of violation of the Copyright Act by makers of Akshay Kumar starrer "Toilet: Ek Prem Katha".

'Toilet: Ek Prem Katha' Makers Argue In Copyright Case