Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
India

Farmers blasts govt's attempt to 'divide' unions, say way forward decision on Dec 4

Darpan News Desk IANS, 01 Dec, 2021 12:28 PM
  • Farmers blasts govt's attempt to 'divide' unions, say way forward decision on Dec 4

New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) Stating that the BJP government should stop attempting to divide farmers even at this stage - two days after the three farm laws were repealed in the Parliament, the Samyukt Kisan Morcha on Wednesday on condemned the government's statement that it does not have data about farmers' death.

"The SKM condemns the response of the government of India in the Parliament saying that it has no information about deaths in the farmers' movement and therefore, the question of financial assistance does not arise! SKM reiterates its demand for compensation and rehabilitation of the kin of more than 689 martyrs in the ongoing agitation," the SKM - which has spearheaded the farmers' agitation for over a year - said in a statement.

It also criticized Prime Minister Narendra Modi for not re-initiating formal dialogue and not responding formally to the letter sent by the SKM reminding the government about the pending demands. "Farm unions stand united in their demands to the Government and SKM is awaiting formal communication with all required details from the Government," it said.

The SKM statement came in wake of the fact that there were informal attempts to reach out to the farmers on Tuesday by the government asking for five names to be included in a Committee purportedly for discussing farm related issues, including the Minimum Support Price (MSP).

Asserting that the farmers' unions are all united, the SKM - a consortium of 40-odd organisations - said, morchas/campsites around Delhi borders will continue with more tractor-trolleys reaching the protest sites and the struggle will continue.

"More farmers are coming so that everyone can go back together victorious - SKM appeals to farmers and media not to believe falsehoods being spread about protests winding down - SKM will hold its meeting on December 4 as announced earlier," the statement said.

There is no meeting that has happened between Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and farm union leaders of that state, the SKM claimed. "In the Haryana SKM meeting, it was reiterated that the agitation will continue until the pending demands are met by the government, and until formal communication is received regarding the same. Haryana farmers' organisations will join the SKM meeting on December 4 like other constituents and a collective stock-taking will take place on that day."

Meanwhile, the All India Kisan Sabha, a component of SKM, said: "The BJP Government has been incessantly peddling lies to cover up for their loss of face, having suffered a humiliating defeat at the hands of the united Kisan movement. Narendra Modi is graceless in defeat and insincere in the apology tendered, he has no remorse for the death of over 700 farmers and immense hardship farmers have had to undergo."

MORE India ARTICLES

Riteish Deshmukh Hits Back At Piyush Goyal For Attacking His Father

Honourable Minister, It is true that I had visited the Taj/Oberoi but untrue that I was there while the 'Shooting and Bombing' was happening as you claimed. It is true that I had accompanied my father but untrue that he was trying to get me a role in a film.

Riteish Deshmukh Hits Back At Piyush Goyal For Attacking His Father

Sam Pitroda Should Be Ashamed Of His Comments On '84 Riots, Says Rahul Gandhi

Sam Pitroda's remarks on the 1984 anti-Sikh riots last week is "absolutely wrong and he should apologise to the nation for it"

Sam Pitroda Should Be Ashamed Of His Comments On '84 Riots, Says Rahul Gandhi

Will Fight For Justice Of 1984 Anti-Sikh Riot Victims: Modi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said he would fight for justice for the 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims and blamed the previous Congress governments in the Centre for not delivering justice in 35 long years.

Will Fight For Justice Of 1984 Anti-Sikh Riot Victims: Modi

Dharmendra Says He Would Not Have Let Son Sunny Deol Contest Polls Had He Known Sunil Jakhar Is In The Fray

"Balram Jakhar was like my brother. Had I known his son Sunil Jakhar was contesting from Gurdaspur, I would have not allowed Sunny (to contest against him)," the 83-year-old told.

Dharmendra Says He Would Not Have Let Son Sunny Deol Contest Polls Had He Known Sunil Jakhar Is In The Fray

Close Shave For Sunny Deol As His Convoy Collides With 3 Cars On Gurdaspur Highway

BJP's Gurdaspur candidate Sunny Deol had a close shave today after the tyre of the vehicle he was traveling in burst on the Amritsar-Gurdaspur national highway.

Close Shave For Sunny Deol As His Convoy Collides With 3 Cars On Gurdaspur Highway

Here's Why This Indian Family Decided To Hold Son's Wedding Ceremony Without A Bride

Ajay Barot, a 27-year-old with a learning disability, always wanted a grand wedding but was unable to find a partner. So his family in the western Indian state of Gujarat pooled resources to throw him a big wedding party and the entire village joined in to make Barot happy.  

Here's Why This Indian Family Decided To Hold Son's Wedding Ceremony Without A Bride