Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
India

Google Accepts Punjab CM Captain Amarinder Singh’s Demand To Take Down App '2020 Sikh Referendum'

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Nov, 2019 10:13 PM

    Acceding to Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh’s demand, IT giant Google has removed the secessionist, anti-India Mobile Application ‘2020 Sikh Referendum’ from its Play Store with immediate effect.


    A spokesperson of the Chief Minister's office said that this app was not available on Google Play Store for mobile users in India any more.


    The Chief Minister, who had also urged the central government to persuade Google in the matter, had asked the DGP to coordinate with central security agencies to tackle the threat resulting from the launch of the app, created by ‘ICETECH’.


    The app had asked the general public to register themselves to vote in the ‘PUNJAB REFERENDUM 2020 KHALISTAN’. A website was also launched for the same purpose.


    During analysis of the said application and the website in the DITAC Lab, Punjab, it was found that the data of voters registered through the App was also linked and stored in the web server of the website, created and handled by ‘Sikhs For Justice’ (SFJ), an Association banned by the Government of India.


    Based on these findings, the Cyber Crime Centre of Bureau of Investigation, Punjab, had moved to get the App removed from the Google Play Store and the website blocked for usage in India.


    Subsequently, on November 8, 2019, a Notice under Section 79 (3) B of Information Technology Act was sent to the Google Legal Cell for immediate removal of the Mobile Application from the Google Play Store.


    After obtaining approval from Additional Chief Secretary Home, a request letter was sent to Cyber Law Division, Department of Electronics & Information and Technology, Government of India, for blocking the Mobile Application from Google Play Store and the Website, under Rule 9 (Blocking of Information in case of Emergency) of Blocking Rule (IT Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking Access of information by public) Rules, 2009.


    On November 9, 2019, IGP Crime Nageshwar Rao and incharge State Cyber-cum-DITAC Lab raised the issue with the Legal Cell of Google India, which was convinced that the Google platform was abused for committing illegal and anti-national activities by banned association 'Sikhs For Justice'. This was followed by their decision to remove the app from their Play Store.

    MORE India ARTICLES

    Man Carrying Gold Bars Worth Over Rs. 34 Lakh Arrested At Delhi Airport

    The 26-year-old man, who arrived at Terminal-3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport, was intercepted by Customs officials after he had crossed the Green Channel.

    Man Carrying Gold Bars Worth Over Rs. 34 Lakh Arrested At Delhi Airport

    Pak Should Focus On Human Rights Violation In PoK: Rajnath

    Pak Should Focus On Human Rights Violation In PoK: Rajnath
    Defence minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday said that Pakistan should focus on human rights violation meted out to the citizens of Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK).

    Pak Should Focus On Human Rights Violation In PoK: Rajnath

    Jharkhand Women Stitching Their Way Out Of Poverty With Jute

    Women in Maoist-affected Lohardaga district of Jharkhand are stitching their way out of poverty with jute yarn. They make and sell decorative items made using jute threads.

    Jharkhand Women Stitching Their Way Out Of Poverty With Jute

    Declared Dead At Birth, UP Girl Noopur Singh Is KBC Winner

    She was declared "born dead" and thrown in the garbage by the doctors of a Kanpur hospital. A relative saw signs of life in the newborn and picked her up.

    Declared Dead At Birth, UP Girl Noopur Singh Is KBC Winner

    Anand Mahindra Shares PV Sindhu's Extensive Workout Video. Says I'm Exhausted Just Watching This

    After returning home, PV Sindhu said that she had been preparing for long and thanked her parents, coaches, and trainer for the victory.  

    Anand Mahindra Shares PV Sindhu's Extensive Workout Video. Says I'm Exhausted Just Watching This

    Gambhir Lashes Out At Afridi Over Kashmir Tweet

    Former India opener Gautam Gambhir has slammed ex-Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi after the latter said that he will soon visit the Line of Control (LoC) to "express solidarity with our Kashmiri brethren"

    Gambhir Lashes Out At Afridi Over Kashmir Tweet