Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
India

Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Darpan News Desk IANS, 15 Aug, 2025 02:50 PM
  • Kishtwar tragedy: 56 bodies recovered, search operation for missing intensifies

Fifty-six bodies have been recovered so far and over 300 were rescued as Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke to J&K Lt Governor and Chief Minister, assuring all possible help to sufferers of the Kishtwar cloudburst tragedy. 

At least 56 people, including two CISF personnel, have been confirmed dead after a massive cloudburst struck Chashoti village near the Machail Mata Shrine in Kishtwar district on Thursday.

The resulting cloudburst debris and flash floods swept away makeshift structures, a community kitchen and a security post.

Officials said over 250 people are still missing while more than 300 have been rescued so far, several of them with serious injuries.

Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said on X today, “I just received a call from Hon PM @narendramodi Sb. I briefed him about the situation in Kishtwar & the steps being taken by the administration. My government & the people hit by this tragic cloudburst are grateful for his support & all the assistance provided by the Union Government”.

Union Minister Jitendra Singh said the disaster could result in substantial casualties and confirmed that the administration has swung into action, deploying rescue teams from the Civil Administration, Police, Army, NDRF, and SDRF. Adverse weather and washed-out roads have hampered air operations, forcing ground teams to lead much of the evacuation effort.

Witnesses said the cloudburst struck around 11.30 a.m. Thursday, when hundreds of pilgrims were present in the last motorable Chashoti village before the high altitude shrine.

The sudden surge of water destroyed a community kitchen hosting nearly 200 pilgrims and also damaged nearby security installations. Many tents and temporary shelters set up for pilgrims were washed away in the deluge.

L-G Manoj Sinha has directed all agencies to strengthen rescue and relief operations and ensure all possible assistance to the affected.

Control rooms and helpline numbers have been activated to help locate missing persons. The Machail Mata Yatra, which draws thousands of devotees every August, has been suspended until further notice.

Due to the scale of the tragedy, Independence Day celebrations in several parts of the Union Territory were scaled down, with only flag hoisting and the national anthem being observed.

Officials fear the casualty count may rise as many areas remain cut off. Rescuers, including volunteers from local organisations, are continuing their search along the riverbanks downstream from the disaster site.

Critical health infrastructure was reinforced at Sub-District Hospital (SDH), Paddar, with an additional deployment of 13 doctors and 31 paramedics. Senior officers of the health department are stationed at Paddar, overseeing rescue and medical operations. District Hospital (DH) Kishtwar has been augmented with the additional deployment of General Surgeons, Orthopaedic Surgeons, and Anaesthetists from Government Medical College (GMC) Doda. Additionally, tertiary care institutions have been put in a state of full readiness.

A team comprising specialists has been readied at Doda to manage patients being referred from DH Kishtwar. Government Medical College (GMC) hospital in Jammu is in full operational readiness with 50 dedicated disaster beds, 20 ventilator beds, and 5 operating theatres (OTs). Specialist medical teams comprising Orthopaedicians, Neurosurgeons, Critical Care Anaesthetists, and Maxillo-facial consultants are on standby.

The GMC Jammu Blood Bank has been augmented with 200-plus units of blood available for any exigency.

To assist in the response to the situation, PGIMER Chandigarh has dispatched a specialised team comprising Critical Care Specialists and Neurosurgeons to GMC Jammu to further enhance critical care patient care capabilities. Immediately following the incident, a large fleet of 65 ambulances from the Health department, NHPC, Army, CRPF and 108 Emergency Service of the J&K Health and Medical Education department was deployed for rescue and patient transfer.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal
Asserting large-scale corruption in the Punjab excise policy, Majithia said like in the case of Delhi, the entire liquor trade had been handed over to two companies and their profit margin had been doubled to facilitate a quid pro quo.

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport
The sources said that after a flight from Sharjah arrived at the airport, a passenger alerted a Customs officer about a flip cover being left behind on a trolley. Upon checking, the officer recovered 10 gold biscuits, wrapped in the cover.

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh
The incident took place on Tuesday at Tikrapara area of Raipur. The deceased have been identified as Aslam Ahmed and Kahkasha Bano, the couple got married on February 19 and their wedding reception was scheduled to be held on Tuesday.

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters
Lawrence Bishnoi was placed under arrest by the NIA on November 24, 2022 in connection with a case related to conspiracy hatched by terrorists, gangsters and drug smugglers' syndicate to create terror among the public. His arrest was made when he was lodged in the Bhatinda Jail.

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries
A 28 year-old woman, who was set on fire by her live-in partner in Rohini area, succumbed to injuries during the treatment at a hospital in the national capital, said an official on Tuesday. Police said that they have detained the live-in partner, identified as Mohit.

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24
The court had on February 7 taken cognisance of the charge sheet filed by the Delhi Police against Poonawala. On January 24, the police had filed the charge sheet in the case which contains over 6,000 pages, and the court had extended his custody for 14 days.

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24