Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Sisodia not sharing Tihar Jail cell with anyone: Officials

Sisodia not sharing Tihar Jail cell with anyone: Officials
The officials said that some dreaded criminals were lodged in the same ward, adding that Sisodia has not raised any complaint in food or other things so far. Sisodia, who was arrested on February 26 in the Delhi excise policy case, was lodged in the cell on Monday after due formalities which included some medical tests.

Sisodia not sharing Tihar Jail cell with anyone: Officials

Delhi court to hear arguments on charges against Shraddha murder accused on Mar 20

Delhi court to hear arguments on charges against Shraddha murder accused on Mar 20
Special public prosecutor (SPP) Amit Prasad argued the charges against Poonawala. It was submitted that the accused is a trained chef from Taj Hotel and is aware of preserving the flesh. Poonawala had also ordered dry ice, agarbatti etc. after killing Shraddha Walker, the police said.

Delhi court to hear arguments on charges against Shraddha murder accused on Mar 20

Moosewala's parents seek justice for slain son

Moosewala's parents seek justice for slain son
Carrying placards, father Balkaur Singh and mother Charan Kaur told the media it has been almost a year of the crime occurrence and the main culprits have not been arrested.They demanded that the case should be investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as crucial witnesses "are being eliminated and nothing is going in their favour."

Moosewala's parents seek justice for slain son

Delhi Police bust inter-state gang involved in stealing luxury cars; 2 held

Delhi Police bust inter-state gang involved in stealing luxury cars; 2 held
The accused were identified as Mohd. Danish (33) and Danish alias Raja (30), both residents of Sambhal in Uttar Pradesh. Police have also recovered five high end luxury cars and SUVs from the possession of the accused.

Delhi Police bust inter-state gang involved in stealing luxury cars; 2 held

Punjab tourists ransack shops, houses in Himachal's Manikaran

Punjab tourists ransack shops, houses in Himachal's Manikaran
The cause of the provocation is yet to be ascertained, an official told IANS, adding the situation is under control. Videos of the ruckus were viral on the social media. Many parked vehicles and a nearby police station was pelted on with stones.

Punjab tourists ransack shops, houses in Himachal's Manikaran

Delhi court sends Sisodia to judicial custody till March 20

Delhi court sends Sisodia to judicial custody till March 20
The court had, on March 4, extended Sisodia's CBI custody for two days and listed his bail plea for March 10 and in the last two days, the CBI questioned him with key witnesses -- former excise commissioner Arva Gopi Krishna and former excise department secretary C. Arvind -- in this case, who recorded their statements in front of a magistrate. 

Delhi court sends Sisodia to judicial custody till March 20