Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
India

Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Aug, 2024 04:27 PM
  • Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case

New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Over 70 Padma-awardee doctors on Sunday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking his personal intervention in the case connected to the rape and murder of a junior doctor at the R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata last week, triggering nationwide protests by the medical fraternity.

“As the head of our nation, we implore your immediate and personal intervention to address the alarming situation. We look forward to your quick and decisive action. Such acts of brutality shake the very foundations of service by medical professionals and highlight the urgent need to address violence, particularly against women, girls, and healthcare professionals,” read the letter.

The doctors also urged the Prime Minister to take strong measures to prevent such atrocities from re-occurring .

“We call upon the law enforcement agencies, policymakers, and the society at large to take immediate and decisive action,” the letter said.

The doctors also made the following recommendations:

* Stricter enforcement of existing laws: The doctors emphasised the need for law enforcement agencies to more rigorously apply current legal frameworks to protect healthcare professionals.

* Harsher and time-bound punishment for perpetrators of sexual violence: The doctors called for severe and swift penalties to serve as a deterrent against such crimes.

* Enhanced safety measures at hospitals and medical institutions: The letter urged the government to implement improved safety protocols within the healthcare facilities to ensure a secure working environment for all medical staff.

* Enactment and implementation of a special law for the protection of healthcare workers: The letter urged the central and state governments to quickly enact and implement a separate law for the protection of healthcare workers, ensuring its rapid enforcement on the ground.

A proposed bill, ‘The Prevention of Violence Against Doctors, Medical Professionals and Medical Institutions Bill', is ready since 2019 but has not yet been tabled in the Parliament for passage and adoption.

“We strongly believe that an ordinance to this effect can be brought immediately, and the Bill should be passed post-haste so that all those working in healthcare delivery systems in the country can work without fear, in service of the suffering patients,” the letter read.

* Harshest possible punishment for violence against healthcare workers: The proposed Ordinance/Bill should ensure that harshest possible punishment is given to those who indulge in violence against healthcare workers, whether verbal or physical. Such cases should be resolved swiftly by the judiciary, with offences categorised as non-bailable.

The letter said: “We should not allow such acts to become normalised or forgotten. As recipients of one of the nation's prestigious civilian honours, we feel a deep responsibility to speak out and demand timely action and appropriate changes."

The doctors also said that they stand in unwavering solidarity with the victim’s family as they extended full support to the medical community, which is increasingly confronting such violence in the course of their work.

MORE India ARTICLES

Special Cell gets 5-day remand of Lawrence Bishnoi in Moosewala case

Special Cell gets 5-day remand of Lawrence Bishnoi in Moosewala case
Earlier in the day Bishnoi had alleged that the Punjab police can do mishappening with him under political pressure. His plea has been accepted by the Delhi High Court which will hear arguments in the matter. Moosewala's autopsy revealed that he had 24 bullet injuries whereas 30 rounds were fired.

Special Cell gets 5-day remand of Lawrence Bishnoi in Moosewala case

First person arrested in Moosewala killing sent to 5-day police custody

First person arrested in Moosewala killing sent to 5-day police custody
A team of Punjab Police along with sleuths of the Uttarakhand STF had arrested Manpreet Singh from Dehradun on Monday. He was suspected to have provided "key logistical support" in the murder of the Punjabi singer.

First person arrested in Moosewala killing sent to 5-day police custody

Russian assault rifle AN-94 used by assassins of Moosewala?

Russian assault rifle AN-94 used by assassins of Moosewala?
It is learnt that the AK-47 assault rifle was used in the crime as its bullet shells were recovered from the crime scene.  The Punjab police is not leaving any stone unturned in its probe in the matter.

Russian assault rifle AN-94 used by assassins of Moosewala?

Punjab CM orders probe by sitting HC judge into Moosewala killing

Punjab CM orders probe by sitting HC judge into Moosewala killing
The Chief Minister, while acceding to the request of Balkar Singh Sidhu, the father of slain singer, said the state government will be requesting the Chief Justice of the High Court to get the case enquired into by a sitting judge.

Punjab CM orders probe by sitting HC judge into Moosewala killing

Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands judicial probe into attack on Rakesh Tikait

Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands judicial probe into attack on Rakesh Tikait
Bharatiya Kisan Union leader Tikait was attacked with black paint during a press conference at Bengaluru on 'Raita Chaluvali, Aatmavalokana haagu Spasteekarana Sabha (Farmer's Movement, Introspection and Clarification Meeting)' organised by Karnataka State Farmers Association, affiliated to the SKM, and Hasiru Sene.

Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands judicial probe into attack on Rakesh Tikait

Drugs-on-cruise case: SIT to fix responsibility of NCB officials

Drugs-on-cruise case: SIT to fix responsibility of NCB officials
Earlier, NCB official Ashish Ranjan Prasad was placed under suspension. Later his suspension was revoked and he was transferred to CISF. Another NCB official who faced the music was Intelligence Official V.V. Singh who filled the arrest memo of Aryan Khan, son of mega star Shahrukh Khan. Singh was placed under suspension which has not been revoked as of now.

Drugs-on-cruise case: SIT to fix responsibility of NCB officials