Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

Punjab starts process of confiscating assets in multi-crore ponzi scam: CM Mann

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Jun, 2023 01:26 PM
  • Punjab starts process of confiscating assets in multi-crore ponzi scam: CM Mann

Chandigarh, June 29 (IANS) Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Thursday said the state has started the process of confiscating properties owned by Pearls Group in connection with a multi-crore chit fund case, to compensate the people by selling them.

Divulging the details, the Chief Minister said the state will recover every single penny plundered from the people of the state.

The Pearls Group had allegedly cheated thousands of people by illegally operating different investment schemes. The CBI, which has been investigating the scam since February 19, 2014, has alleged that over Rs 60,000 crore was siphoned off by the two flagship companies of Pearls Group -- PGF Ltd and PACL Ltd -- by duping close to 5.50 crore investors from across the country by floating ponzi schemes.

The Chief Minister said the properties of the Pearls Group have already been identified in various districts of the state and legal process has been initiated to acquire these properties.

He said ‘red entries’ have been made in the revenue records so that no one is able to sell or purchase this property.

The Chief Minister in a statement said the group had done a huge fraud with the people of the state for which it will be made accountable. He said the revenue records have already been checked at the grassroots to ensure complete transparency in the process.

Mann said the topmost priority has been accorded to this work so that this property is confiscated by the government.

The Chief Minister said he has directed the Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police to personally supervise this work for its smooth execution in a time-bound manner.

Mann said the properties will be sold and every penny of the public will be returned back to them. The government is committed for ensuring that the money of people is returned back them and exemplary action against the company acts as a deterrent for other fraudster companies.

The state vigilance bureau last week asked all deputy commissioners to verify the entries made in the land records pertaining to 2,239 properties in the state identified by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as properties recorded in the name of Pearls Agro-Tech Ltd (PACL), its directors and associate companies.

The ownership details of these properties have also been included in the list shared by Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).

In February, the Chief Minister had asked deputy commissioners to identify all properties of the Pearls Group in their respective districts.

At a virtual meeting, he had said the Pearls Group had committed a huge fraud with the people for which it must be made accountable.

During the campaigning for the state assembly polls, Mann had promised that after the formation of the AAP government, the hard-earned money of people would be returned by confiscating assets of chit fund companies.

The CBI had arrested Nirmal Singh Bhangoo, CMD of Pearls Golden Forest Ltd, and three others on January 8, 2016, in the ponzi scam case.

The central agency had registered the case on directions from the Supreme Court.

The CBI in March arrested Harchand Singh Gill, a director of a Pearls Group, who was deported from Fiji under ‘Operation Trishul’. Gill was arrested on landing in New Delhi.

Claiming that Gill was the director and shareholder of PGF Ltd, the CBI alleged he attended board meetings where all important decisions were taken.

 

 

  •  

MORE India ARTICLES

Mumbai Police nab Gujarat man for bomb threat to Ambani school

Mumbai Police nab Gujarat man for bomb threat to Ambani school
The unknown caller first called shortly after 4 p.m. to warn that he had planted a 'time-bomb' in the school premises and abruptly disconnected. A few minutes later, he again called up and repeated the threat even as the panicked school authorities approached the police.

Mumbai Police nab Gujarat man for bomb threat to Ambani school

DGCA initiates probe into Spicejet passengers waiting at aerobridge

DGCA initiates probe into Spicejet passengers waiting at aerobridge
According to the airline spokesperson, SpiceJet flight SG 8133 (Delhi-Bengaluru) on January 10 was delayed on account of weather disruption in the network and the aircraft's previous rotation. As a result of this, the incoming crew was not legal to operate the subsequent flight to Bengaluru and crew was arranged from another incoming flight which was legal as per duty time limitation.

DGCA initiates probe into Spicejet passengers waiting at aerobridge

Security breach at Hubballi roadshow as youth attempts garlanding PM

Security breach at Hubballi roadshow as youth attempts garlanding PM
PM Modi who is in Hubballi to inaugurate the National Youth Festival, participated in the roadshow ahead of the function. People in large numbers had lined the route and accorded the Prime Minister a rousing welcome.

Security breach at Hubballi roadshow as youth attempts garlanding PM

Scheduled Caste panel withdraws arrest order of Punjab official

Scheduled Caste panel withdraws arrest order of Punjab official
According to the fresh order, the Principal Secretary School Education will appear before the commission without police action on January 17. The Principal Secretary was summoned for hearing in the matter of appointment of junior and general category principals as education officer and principals of year 2010.

Scheduled Caste panel withdraws arrest order of Punjab official

'It might take 5 yrs to complete trial', judge tells SC in Lakhimpur Kheri case

'It might take 5 yrs to complete trial', judge tells SC in Lakhimpur Kheri case
The top court was hearing a bail plea filed by Ashish Mishra. During the hearing, the top court asked the Uttar Pradesh government counsel to confirm whether four accused in a separate case lodged over the killing of three occupants of the car, which allegedly mowed down farmers, are still in custody. The bench scheduled the matter for further hearing on January 19.

'It might take 5 yrs to complete trial', judge tells SC in Lakhimpur Kheri case

Punjab CM says stadium, road to be named after braveheart constable

Punjab CM says stadium, road to be named after braveheart constable
The Chief Minister, who visited the house of the martyr at his native village in Gurdaspur district, handed over a cheque for Rs 2 crore, including Rs 1 crore ex gratia by state government and Rs 1 crore of life insurance by HDFC Bank, to the distressed family as a mark of respect for his supreme sacrifice for the country.

Punjab CM says stadium, road to be named after braveheart constable