Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

Seven students killed in Haryana bus accident

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Apr, 2024 05:10 PM
  • Seven students killed in Haryana bus accident

Chandigarh, April 11 (IANS) Seven school students were killed and at least 15 sustained injuries after their bus with 40 children onboard lost control and overturned in Haryana's Mahendragarh district on Thursday.

The cause of the accident was negligence and rash driving, said Superintendent of Police Arsh Verma.

He said prima facie it appeared the driver lost control of the bus and rammed it into a tree. He might have been drunk, he added.

As per the police investigation, the bus fitness certificate expired six years ago in 2018.

The school was functioning despite a holiday for Eid-ul-Fitr.

Class IV to Class X students were from G.L. Public School in Kanina. The students were on the way to the school when the bus overturned while overtaking another vehicle, police said.

The injured students were rushed to a nearby hospital.

Five children died on the spot, while two succumbed to injuries on the way to the hospital.

"Twenty children were brought here, out of which four were brought dead," Ravi Kaushik of Nihal hospital, Mahendragarh, told the media.

According to the local administration, 12 injured have been moved to a local hospital, while two were admitted to a Rohtak hospital in critical condition.

MORE India ARTICLES

Mehrauli murder: Court disposes of Delhi Police's plea against news channel

Mehrauli murder: Court disposes of Delhi Police's plea against news channel
The Delhi Police had filed an application on April 10 and while dealing with it, Additional Sessions Judge Manisha Khurana Kakkar of the Saket Court Complex said that Special Public Prosecutor Amit Prasad had placed on record the Delhi High Court's order dated April 19 directing media channels to not publish or broadcast any content belonging to the charge sheet in the case.

Mehrauli murder: Court disposes of Delhi Police's plea against news channel

India overtakes China to become most populous country: UN report

India overtakes China to become most populous country: UN report
According to the UNFPA's The State of World Population Report, 2023, India's population has reached 1,428.6 million while China's stands at 1,425.7 million -- a difference of 2.9 million. The UN's World Population Prospects 2022 had also projected India to surpass China as the world's most populous country during 2023.

India overtakes China to become most populous country: UN report

Tim Cook greets first customers as Apple debuts India retail store

Tim Cook greets first customers as Apple debuts India retail store
Cook came out from the Mumbai retail store and took selfies with the first Apple buyers who came in big numbers. He welcomed customers at Apple BKC, located at Mumbai's bustling Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC) financial, arts, and entertainment district, at the Jio World Drive Mall.

Tim Cook greets first customers as Apple debuts India retail store

Man makes bomb threat during security check at Delhi airport

Man makes bomb threat during security check at Delhi airport
The incident took place on April 11 when the man, identified as Shiv, was to take a Go First flight (G8-157) to Bagdogra, West Bengal. According to a complaint lodged by the airline staff, when he was asked to open his bag for a mandatory secondary ladder point check, Shiv got agitated and told them that there was a bomb inside his bag.

Man makes bomb threat during security check at Delhi airport

Delhi court sends gangster Lawrence Bishnoi to 7-day NIA custody

Delhi court sends gangster Lawrence Bishnoi to 7-day NIA custody
The NIA had produced Bishnoi before the court after bringing him to Delhi from Punjab on Monday for questioning in connection with a case registered last year. Bishnoi is currently lodged in Bathinda Central Jail.

Delhi court sends gangster Lawrence Bishnoi to 7-day NIA custody

Excise policy scam: Delhi court reserves order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case

Excise policy scam: Delhi court reserves order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case
Special judge M.K. Nagpal of the Rouse Avenue Court will pronounce the order on April 26. On Monday, the court had extended Sisodia's judicial custody by two weeks in the case.The probe agency had also said that the 60 days given to complete the investigation against Sisodia are not over yet.

Excise policy scam: Delhi court reserves order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case