Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

Sukhbir seeks PM Modi's intervention in appointment of Sikhs as judge

Darpan News Desk IANS, 23 Nov, 2023 04:56 PM
  • Sukhbir seeks PM Modi's intervention in appointment of Sikhs as judge

Chandigarh, Nov 23 (IANS) Shiromani Akali Dal president Sukhbir Badal on Thursday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking "his immediate and urgent intervention against the omission of two Sikh lawyers Harmit Singh Grewal and Deepinder Singh in their appointment as judges in the Punjab and Haryana High Court despite recommendations by the Supreme Court collegium".

Badal urged the Prime Minister to get the injustice and communal discrimination against Sikhs stopped by personally intervening in the matter.

In his letter, Badal described the issue as one of "great sensitivity".

Badal recalled that the Supreme Court collegium on October 17 forwarded to the government the names of five lawyers for appointment as judges in the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

While the names of the three of the five judges have been cleared by the government, both Sikh lawyers were denied their due appointment despite the collegium's recommendations. Badal said this was not the first time that such an omission had been made.

"In March 2022 also the apex court collegium had recommended 12 names for appointment as High Court judges. First of all, only one of the 12 was a Sikh which by itself seemed so strange and unfair. On top of it, even the sole Sikh name recommended by the Supreme Court was withheld while all other 11 were duly cleared," he wrote.

MORE India ARTICLES

PM Narendra Modi announces $270 billion COVID-19 rescue package for India

PM Narendra Modi announces $270 billion COVID-19 rescue package for India
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a 270 billion dollar package to tackle the impact of coronavirus and weeks of lockdown. India would not be controlled by the virus, he said, also announcing "lockdown 4" after May 17 in a "completely different form", with new rules.

PM Narendra Modi announces $270 billion COVID-19 rescue package for India

All of India prays for speedy recovery of former PM Manmohan Singh

All of India prays for speedy recovery of former PM Manmohan Singh
Heartfelt messages and prayers pour in for former Indian Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh, 87, who had undergone a heart surgery, had agreed to advise Punjab Government on  ways to cope with the economic and humanitarian crisis in the wake of the pandemic. He complained of chest pain on Sunday evening and was rushed to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. (AIIMS)

All of India prays for speedy recovery of former PM Manmohan Singh

Experts warn of increasing car use, loss of transit routes post-crisis

Experts warn of increasing car use, loss of transit routes post-crisis
Getting around Stanley Park since the pandemic struck is a new experience for Tom Green. Roads that weave through the urban forest in Vancouver have been closed to traffic, making space for residents to get fresh air at a physical distance.

Experts warn of increasing car use, loss of transit routes post-crisis

Former Punjab DGP Saini denied entry into Himachal over an alleged kidnapping case

Former Punjab DGP Saini denied entry into Himachal over an alleged kidnapping case
The Punjab Police on Wednesday evening charged former state DGP Sumedh Singh Saini and six other police officials at Mohali in a 29-year-old case of alleged kidnapping, torture, and “stage-managed elimination” of Balwant Singh Multani, son of IAS officer Darshan Singh Multani. In the FIR filed, Palwinder Singh Multani, brother of the alleged victim, has named six other police officials, including DSP Baldev Singh Saini, Inspector Satvir Singh, SI Har Sahai Sharma, SI Jagir Singh, SI Anoop Singh and ASI Kuldip Singh.

Former Punjab DGP Saini denied entry into Himachal over an alleged kidnapping case

New digital registration ensures faster, safer assistance for B.C. evacuees

New digital registration ensures faster, safer assistance for B.C. evacuees
British Columbia is unveiling a digital registration system for evacuees as the province prepares for the upcoming wildfire season while coping with physical distancing restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety says the new platform will allow communities to provide emergency support services, including evacuee self-registration and referrals.

New digital registration ensures faster, safer assistance for B.C. evacuees

Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th

Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th
Indians stranded abroad because of the coronavirus pandemic will be brought back home as of May 7th but it will be a gradual process. Aircraft and naval ships will be arranged for their travel, the government said in a statement, adding the service will be offered on "payment-basis". Only those asymptomatic will be allowed onboard.

Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th