Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
India

Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling

Darpan News Desk IANS, 21 Nov, 2023 01:31 PM
  • Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling

Uttarkashi, Nov 21 (IANS) Fresh pictures that emerged from the site of the Silkyara tunnel collapse in Uttarakhand showed that the 41 labourers trapped inside were mostly safe, an official said on Tuesday, adding that those engaged in the rescue operations will now try to drill the tunnel vertically to create an evacuation passage.

Thick pipes have been brought to the Silkyara Tunnel by helicopter from Odisha and a large vertical drilling machine has been brought to create the evacuation passage.

These heavy-duty pipes and the vertical drilling machine will be taken to the mountain above the tunnel for boring, officials said.

Arnold Dix, an international tunneling expert from Australia, is leading the rescue operation.

The official said the location for drilling above the tunnel has already been identified and the rescue team is ready to execute the entire operation.

The vertical machine will conduct drilling from above the tunnel towards the bottom. The special feature of this machine is that it can perform drilling in a large area.

On Tuesday, officials successfully established communication with the trapped workers with the help of an endoscopic camera.

The labourers appeared on camera for the first time since being trapped ten days ago.

On November 12, it was reported that a portion of the under-construction tunnel from Silkyara to Barkot collapsed due to debris falling in the 60 metre stretch on the Silkyara side of the tunnel.

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi Police seizes heroin valued at Rs 10cr; nabs 2

Delhi Police seizes heroin valued at Rs 10cr; nabs 2
Alok Kumar, DCP Special Cell, said: "On April 8, acting on a secret information, the police laid a trap near Ghazipur Subzi Mandi and two key members of the syndicate were finally held with 2 kg of heroin." During questioning, Mohammad Alam disclosed that he had been supplying heroin for the last two years to different people in Delhi, Punjab and Uttar Pradesh.

Delhi Police seizes heroin valued at Rs 10cr; nabs 2

India reports 7,830 new Covid cases, active caseload tops 40k

India reports 7,830 new Covid cases, active caseload tops 40k
In the last 24 hours, 441 doses were administered. The country has so far administered 220.66 crore vaccine doses. The active cases stand at 0.09 per cent and the recovery rate is 98.72 per cent.

India reports 7,830 new Covid cases, active caseload tops 40k

Four held in Punjab with 36.9 kg heroin

Four held in Punjab with 36.9 kg heroin
"During checking, the police recovered 23 packets of heroin, weighing 24.295 kg, concealed in the enclosure of their car windows," the DGP said, adding that another chunk of 12 packets of heroin, weighing 12.620 kg, were recovered from the location disclosed by the accused.

Four held in Punjab with 36.9 kg heroin

Excise policy scam: Delhi court adjourns hearing in Sisodia's bail plea

Excise policy scam: Delhi court adjourns hearing in Sisodia's bail plea
On April 5, the ED had informed special judge Nagpal that it has found fresh evidence indicating Sisodia's involvement in the alleged excise policy scam, and the investigation is at a crucial stage. The court had extended the AAP leader's custody till April 17 in this case.

Excise policy scam: Delhi court adjourns hearing in Sisodia's bail plea

Pay bonus of Rs 100 per quintal for crop loss: Akali Dal

Pay bonus of Rs 100 per quintal for crop loss: Akali Dal
Senior SAD leader Prem Singh Chandumajra told the media here that Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann has failed to present the state's case for exemption from value cuts on wheat properly to the Centre due to which the cuts have been imposed.

Pay bonus of Rs 100 per quintal for crop loss: Akali Dal

Delhi: Sextortion racket busted by police, 1 held

Delhi: Sextortion racket busted by police, 1 held
Akash Kaushal, Additional Deputy Commissioner, West Delhi Police, said that the accused was identified as Abdul. His aides are absconding. They only played video of a girl using another mobile and would record it to extort money. The police official added that on March 23, a man lodged a complaint in this regard.

Delhi: Sextortion racket busted by police, 1 held