Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

India Reiterates Concern To US Over H1-B Visa Issue

IANS, 17 Oct, 2017 12:19 PM
    India on Tuesday reiterated its concern to the US over the latest bid to introduce stricter norms for issuance of H1-B visas which are largely availed by Indian IT firms.
     
    The Indian concerns were conveyed during a meeting between External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and a US Congressional delegation from the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.
     
    "EAM @SushmaSwaraj flagged the issue of H1B visa as a strong concern and sought bipartisan Congressional support for the same," External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar tweeted following the meeting between Sushma Swaraj and the nine-member delegation led by the House Committee's Chairman Lamar Smith.
     
    US President Donald Trump has called for stricter norms for issuance of H1-B visas, largely availed of by Indian IT firms. A private member's bill was also introduced earlier this year in the US Congress by Democrat Zoe Lofgren which seeks to increase the minimum salary of an H1-B visa holder to a whopping $130,000 from the current minimum of $60,000.
     
    Sushma Swaraj also raised the issue with US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson during a meeting on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly Session last month.
     
    While Trump has spoken of restricting the H1-B visa system as part of his policy of putting Americans first, so far there have been no changes to it and for this year the same levels of 65,000 for general H1-B visas and 20,000 for those with advanced US degrees have been kept.
     
    Indians get most of the H1-B visas, although there are no national quotas for the facility nor is it specifically designed for Indians.
     
    In Tuesday's meeting, Sushma Swaraj lauded the positive role of the US Congress in developing India-US strategic relations.
     
    "EAM @SushmaSwaraj welcomed the strong desire of the delegation to strengthen cooperation in strategic, economic, S&T and space sectors," Kumar said in a separate tweet.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    First 100 Days Of Office Most Successful In US History, Says Trump

    On the eve of completing his first 100 days in office, President Donald Trump has said this landmark timeline has been the most successful in the US history.

    First 100 Days Of Office Most Successful In US History, Says Trump

    Dawn Leaks: Sharif Sacks Aide After News Leak Scandal, Army Rejects Move Calls Action 'Incomplete'

    Dawn Leaks: Sharif Sacks Aide After News Leak Scandal, Army Rejects Move Calls Action 'Incomplete'
    Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Saturday approved the sacking of his Special Assistant on Foreign Affairs Tariq Fatemi due to his alleged role in "Dawn leaks", but the countrys army rejected the directives as "incomplete".

    Dawn Leaks: Sharif Sacks Aide After News Leak Scandal, Army Rejects Move Calls Action 'Incomplete'

    Police Arrest Another Nabha Jail Break Accused Sulakhan Singh

    Police Arrest Another Nabha Jail Break Accused Sulakhan Singh
    Sulakhan Singh alias Babbar Sultan was arrested from Nawanshahr bus stand at around 10.30 am

    Police Arrest Another Nabha Jail Break Accused Sulakhan Singh

    56-Year-Old Indian Man Khandu Patel Killed In Crossfire Outside US Motel

    56-Year-Old Indian Man Khandu Patel Killed In Crossfire Outside US Motel
    30 shots went off. Investigators say one of those bullets hit Mr Patel. He was standing at the back of the motel when he was shot and later died at the Regional Medical Center

    56-Year-Old Indian Man Khandu Patel Killed In Crossfire Outside US Motel

    South Africa: Indian-Origin Man Strangles 7-yr-Old Son To Death In Front Of 4-Year-Old Daughter

    An Indian-origin man has been arrested in South Africa for allegedly strangling his seven-year-old son to death while his four-year-old daughter watched in horror.

    South Africa: Indian-Origin Man Strangles 7-yr-Old Son To Death In Front Of 4-Year-Old Daughter

    She Survives Rape, Now She Has To Fight Her School's Wrath

    She Survives Rape, Now She Has To Fight Her School's Wrath
    The girl's parents have alleged that the private school denied admission to their child saying it will bring a "bad name" to it.

    She Survives Rape, Now She Has To Fight Her School's Wrath