Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Sep, 2020 08:58 PM
  • Members named to panel probing WHO's pandemic response

An independent panel appointed by the World Health Organization to review its co-ordination of the response to the COVID-19 pandemic will have full access to any internal U.N. agency documents, materials and emails necessary, the panel said Thursday as it begins the probe.

The panel's co-chairs, former Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and former New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark, announced the 11 other members during a media briefing. They include Dr. Joanne Liu, who was an outspoken WHO critic while leading Medecins Sans Frontieres during the 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

Also named to the panel are: Dr. Zhong Nanshan, a renowned Chinese doctor who was the first to publicly confirm human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus; Mark Dybul, who led the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; and David Miliband, a former British foreign secretary who is CEO of the International Rescue Committee.

Clark said she and Johnson Sirleaf chose the panel members independently and that WHO did not attempt to influence their choices.

“We look forward to a period of intense work together at a key moment in history. We must honour the more than 25.6 million people known to have contracted the disease and the 850,000 and counting who have died from COVID-19,” Johnson Sirleaf said.

The panel scheduled its first meeting for Sept. 17 and plans to meet every six weeks between then and April. It expects to brief WHO on the group's initial progress in November before presenting a final report next year.

WHO bowed to calls from most of its member states in May to launch an independent investigation of how it managed the international response to the coronavirus after the United States accused the U.N. health agency of mismanaging the early phase of the pandemic and colluding with China to hide the extent of the outbreak there.

President Donald Trump pulled the U.S. out of WHO earlier this year after calling the agency a “puppet” of China.

In June, the Associated Press found that China delayed releasing critical information to WHO, including the virus' genetic sequence, for weeks in January. Internal recordings of WHO meetings revealed officials were frustrated at the lack of data-sharing while Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus publicly praised China for its speed and transparency.

To uncover how the global response to COVID-19 was managed, “we may ask decision-makers what kept them up at night," Clark said. The panel also plans to examine what WHO and national governments might have done differently had they known more about the coronavirus.

She said WHO had “made it clear their files are an open book” and that the panel members would have access to any internal documents or materials they wanted, although no such requests have yet been made. As a U.N. agency, WHO is not subject to any freedom of information requests and does not routinely make its internal deliberations public.

The panel is financed by WHO and has its own staff in Geneva, led by Dr. Anders Nordstrom, a former acting director-general at the agency.

MORE International ARTICLES

Indian-Origin World Bank Economist Aakansha Pande, 37, Drowns At Bali Beach

Indian-Origin World Bank Economist Aakansha Pande, 37, Drowns At Bali Beach
Ms Pande, a US citizen, was Senior Health Economist at the World Bank where she focused on countries in the Middle East and North Africa.

Indian-Origin World Bank Economist Aakansha Pande, 37, Drowns At Bali Beach

Mumbai Attack Convict David Coleman Headley Battling For Life After Attack By Inmates In US Jail

Mumbai Attack Convict David Coleman Headley Battling For Life After Attack By Inmates In US Jail
The US authorities refused to comment on media reports that Pakistani-American convict in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack case David Coleman Headley was battling for his life after being attacked by inmates at a detention centre.

Mumbai Attack Convict David Coleman Headley Battling For Life After Attack By Inmates In US Jail

In Major Move, British Sikhs To Get Ethnicity Status In 2021 Census: Report

In Major Move, British Sikhs To Get Ethnicity Status In 2021 Census: Report
Last year, over 100 British MPs, including Indian-origin lawmakers, had asked the authority to include Sikh as a separate ethnic box for the 2021 census.

In Major Move, British Sikhs To Get Ethnicity Status In 2021 Census: Report

21 Indian-Origin Persons Sentenced In Massive Call Centre Fraud In US

21 Indian-Origin Persons Sentenced In Massive Call Centre Fraud In US
Twenty-one Indian-origin persons have been sentenced here to up to 20 years for their role in a massive India-based call centre scam which defrauded thousands of US residents of hundreds of millions of dollars, the Justice Department said.

21 Indian-Origin Persons Sentenced In Massive Call Centre Fraud In US

Two Indian-Origin Candidates Join Race To Become London Mayor

Two Indian-Origin Candidates Join Race To Become London Mayor
At the last mayoral elections in May 2016, Labour's Khan defeated the Conservative party candidate Zac Goldsmith, brother of Jemima Khan - the ex-wife of Pakistani cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.

Two Indian-Origin Candidates Join Race To Become London Mayor

My Statement Misconstrued, Sikh Detainees In Us Not Handcuffed, Says Navneet Kaur

My Statement Misconstrued, Sikh Detainees In Us Not Handcuffed, Says Navneet Kaur
The over 50 Indian nationals detained in a prison in the US State of Oregon after illegally entering the country are not being handcuffed, a legal advocacy group volunteer said on Friday.

My Statement Misconstrued, Sikh Detainees In Us Not Handcuffed, Says Navneet Kaur