Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
International

Mississauga Teen Who Admitted To NYC Terror Plot Asks For ‘Second Chance’

The Canadian Press, 05 Mar, 2018 12:54 PM
  • Mississauga Teen Who Admitted To NYC Terror Plot Asks For ‘Second Chance’
A Canadian who admitted to plotting a terrorist attack on New York City is pleading for "a second chance" in a letter submitted to the court ahead of his upcoming sentencing.
 
 
In the letter filed to a New York court on Friday, Abdulrahman El Bahnasawy of Mississauga, Ont., outlined his personal history with addiction and mental illness, and explained that he felt American airstrikes against the Middle East drove him to jihadism. 
 
 
The 20-year-old wrote that he felt that Americans were trying to disrupt the lives of people in the Middle East with airstrikes and he thought "it was appropriate to use similar methods back until and unless they stop."
 
 
The 24-page hand-written letter, addressed to the judge in his case and partially redacted, is part of a package his lawyers submitted ahead of his sentencing for multiple terrorism-related charges that he pleaded guilty to last year.
 
 
El Bahnasawy described his disenfranchisement with western society, including "so-called democracy and freedom."
 
 
He said he chose to go to the U.S. to carry out the plan because Canada had recently stopped its airstrikes, "and it didn't make sense to transgress back against them in such a way."
 
 
Police secretly arrested El Bahnasawy, then 18, in what they said was a plot by Islamic State sympathizers to attack New York City concert venues, subway stations and Times Square. He was arrested after travelling from Canada to New Jersey in 2016. The records in his case were sealed for over a year as police tried to hunt down his accomplices.
 
 
Authorities announced the charges against him after two other suspects were arrested in Pakistan and the Philippines.
 
 
The Canadian didn't discuss the specifics of the plot in the letter, instead focusing on why he decided to go to such extremes.
 
 
"My detailed reasons about this is in no way a justification for it, I merely am explaining my thought process at the time," he wrote, adding that he no longer believes extremism is the answer.
 
 
"There are many issues in this world but I don't want to lose my life or freedom to try fixing them, and I definitely do not want to resort to violence or harm to fix them. I sincerely apologize for my (behaviour) and I only ask for a second chance."
 
 
El Bahnasawy also used the letter to outline his struggles with addiction and mental illness, including several trips into hospital psychiatric wards and rehab centres. He said he spent a month in a psych ward in Kuwait, and eight months in rehab in Egypt. Court records show he also spent time at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health in Toronto.
 
 
"I want to experience life away from drugs and away from war and violence," he wrote.
 
 
He wrote that he wondered where he would be if anyone who knew about his plans had encouraged him to find a more productive way to fight the injustice he saw in the world.
 
 
The young man's lawyers, in a submission included in the package with the letter, requested the judge impose a sentence "no greater than necessary to comply with (the law)."
 
 
They suggested that his release might coincide with "the onset of Abdulrahman’s mid-twenties when his cognitive development will be complete."
 
 
El Bahnasawy's sentencing hearing is scheduled for April 9.

MORE International ARTICLES

Indian-Origin Boy In Uk Scores 162 IQ Points, More Than Einstein And Hawking

Indian-Origin Boy In Uk Scores 162 IQ Points, More Than Einstein And Hawking
An 11-year-old Indian-origin boy in the UK has secured the top possible score of 162 on a Mensa IQ test, two points higher than geniuses Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, making him one of the brainiest children in the country.

Indian-Origin Boy In Uk Scores 162 IQ Points, More Than Einstein And Hawking

Indian-American Man Held For Shooting Ex-Wife, Killing Her Husband

Indian-American Man Held For Shooting Ex-Wife, Killing Her Husband
Sayantan Ghose, 41, was arrested at a border checkpoint near Las Cruces, New Mexico, on Thursday and was charged with the murder of Clarence Wayne Harris II 

Indian-American Man Held For Shooting Ex-Wife, Killing Her Husband

Sikh Population In Australia Grows By 78 Per Cent In Five Years

Sikh Population In Australia Grows By 78 Per Cent In Five Years
There’s a surge in student migration rather than skilled migration from Punjab with Victoria emerging as destination of choice

Sikh Population In Australia Grows By 78 Per Cent In Five Years

Canadian Pulse Exporters Get Six-month Waiver On Pest Treatment For India

CALGARY — India has issued a six-month extension allowing Canadian peas and lentils to be exported to the country without first being treated for pests.

Canadian Pulse Exporters Get Six-month Waiver On Pest Treatment For India

Low I.Q. Crazy Mika: Donald Trump Takes Jibe At TV Host Mika Brzezinski, Gets Slammed

Low I.Q. Crazy Mika: Donald Trump Takes Jibe At TV Host Mika Brzezinski, Gets Slammed
US President Donald Trump's spiteful Twitter remarks on a female news anchor's looks have come under serious attack from different quarters and also from his own Republican colleagues.

Low I.Q. Crazy Mika: Donald Trump Takes Jibe At TV Host Mika Brzezinski, Gets Slammed

Indian-Origin Man In US Stabbed To Death By Cousin

Indian-Origin Man In US Stabbed To Death By Cousin
Sharanjit Singh, 26, was stabbed in the chest by Lovedeep Singh, 24, at their home in New York City borough Queens, the New York Daily News reported. 

Indian-Origin Man In US Stabbed To Death By Cousin