Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
International

Philippines Recalling Ambassador And Consuls In Canada Over Trash Shipments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 May, 2019 08:05 PM

    MANILA, Philippines — The Philippines is recalling its ambassador and consuls in Canada over Ottawa's failure to comply with a deadline to take back truckloads of garbage that Filipino officials say were illegally shipped to the Philippines years ago, officials said Thursday.


    Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. tweeted that the Philippines "shall maintain a diminished diplomatic presence in Canada until its garbage is ship bound there." The drastic move is the latest strain in Philippine relations with Canada under President Rodrigo Duterte.


    Duterte threatened last month to forcibly ship the containers of garbage back to Canada and dump some at its embassy in Manila if Canadian officials don't take back the waste. Officials later set a May 15 deadline for Canada to comply.


    Locsin said in his tweet that letters for the recall of the Philippine ambassador and consuls in Canada have been sent and that they were expected back in Manila after about a day.


    "That recall shows that we are very serious in asking them to get back their garbage otherwise we're gonna severe relations with them," presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo told a regular news conference.


    At least 103 containers of household trash, including plastic bottles and bags, newspapers and diapers, were shipped in batches from Canada to the Philippines from 2013 to 2014. Most of the shipping containers remain in two ports in Manila and northern Subic freeport, sparking protests from environmental activists. Philippine officials say they were falsely declared by a private firm as recyclable plastic scraps and have asked Canada to take back the garbage.


    Duterte raised the garbage issue in a speech last month while officials from both countries were already discussing a resolution to the issue. The volatile president said he was ready to "declare war against" Canada over the issue.


    "I want a boat prepared. I'll give a warning to Canada maybe next week that they better pull that thing out or I will set sail to Canada and pour their garbage there," Duterte said, adding he would ask Canadian officials to "prepare a grand reception."


    "Celebrate because your garbage is coming home," he said. "Eat it if you want to."


    The Canadian government said through its embassy in Manila after Duterte's provocative remarks that it "is strongly committed to collaborating with the government of the Philippines to resolve this issue." It said it was aware of a Philippine court ruling that ordered a private importer to ship the waste back to Canada.


    A group of officials from both sides "is examining the full spectrum of issues related to the removal of the waste with a view to a timely resolution," the embassy said in a statement.


    A Manila court ordered the private importers in 2016 to ship the waste back to Canada. Of 103 shipping containers that entered the Philippines, the waste from 34 has been disposed of locally.


    Philippine Customs Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrerro has said " bureaucratic red tape" in Canada slowed the return of the rest.


    Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in 2017 that regulations preventing the return of the garbage had been resolved.


    Last year, Duterte ordered the cancellation of a multimillion-dollar agreement to buy 16 helicopters from Canada after its government decided to review the deal due to concerns the Philippine military might use the aircraft in counterinsurgency assaults.

     

    MORE International ARTICLES

    No Beards Allowed, Says Bengaluru College. This Is Their Reason

    No Beards Allowed, Says Bengaluru College. This Is Their Reason
    Students of Adarsha College of Nursing in Bengaluru had alleged that they were not allowed to sit in the classroom because they refused to shave their beard.

    No Beards Allowed, Says Bengaluru College. This Is Their Reason

    Somnath Bharti Tells Court Matrimonial Dispute With Wife Settled

    Somnath Bharti Tells Court Matrimonial Dispute With Wife Settled
    The court listed the matter for further hearing on March 7 next year and stayed the proceedings in the trial court.

    Somnath Bharti Tells Court Matrimonial Dispute With Wife Settled

    Britain To Decide On Pro-Khalistan Rally On August 12: India

    Britain To Decide On Pro-Khalistan Rally On August 12: India
    Ahead of a pro-Khalistan rally scheduled in London on August 12, India on Thursday said it is for Britain to decide whether to allow an event that seeks to promote violence and secessionism.

    Britain To Decide On Pro-Khalistan Rally On August 12: India

    Indian Govt Close To Securing Nabha jailbreak mastermind Ramanjit Singh Romi’s Extradition

     He is wanted by Interpol for his alleged role in terrorist activities and targeted killings in Punjab.

    Indian Govt Close To Securing Nabha jailbreak mastermind Ramanjit Singh Romi’s Extradition

    Over 21,000 Indians Overstayed Visas In US Last Year: Report

    Over 21,000 Indians Overstayed Visas In US Last Year: Report
    In 2017, more than 21,000 Indians who were supposed to leave the US at the end of their permissible limits overstayed their visas, as per the latest official report.

    Over 21,000 Indians Overstayed Visas In US Last Year: Report

    Not Every Brown-Skinned Person Evil, Says Sunayana Dumala, Widow Of Techie Killed In US

    Not Every Brown-Skinned Person Evil, Says Sunayana Dumala, Widow Of Techie Killed In US
    The widow of Indian engineer Srinivas Kuchibhotla told the US Navy veteran who killed her husband that he was always "respectful to others" and would have helped him understand that not every brown-skinned person is evil but is contributing to America's growth.

    Not Every Brown-Skinned Person Evil, Says Sunayana Dumala, Widow Of Techie Killed In US