Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
International

UP Woman Given Triple Talaq After Refusing Chewing Gum From Husband: Cops

Darpan News Desk IANS, 20 Aug, 2019 07:49 PM

    A man allegedly gave ''triple talaq'' to his wife inside the civil court premises in Uttar Pradesh capital Lucknow in the presence of her advocate after she refused to accept a chewing gum from him, police said on Tuesday.


    30-year-old Simmi of Amrai village was divorced by her husband Syed Rashid on Monday inside the Lucknow civil court premises where she had gone for the hearing of her case of dowry harassment she had lodged earlier against her in-laws, said the Indira Nagar police station SHO SB Pandey.


    The woman was talking to her advocate when her husband offered her a chewing gum which she refused, said the SHO, citing the woman's compliant.


    This threw Rashid in a fit of rage and he divorced his wife, uttering talaq three times, said the SHO.


    Simmi, married to Rashid in 2004, had lodged a case of dowry harassment against her husband and in-laws earlier, said SHO Pandey.


    There have been several instances of men divorcing their wives with the outlawed oral diktat on seemingly odd pretexts.


    Last year, a man working in the UAE had pronounced triple talaq to his wife in Uttar Pradesh's Sultanpur through a text message, while a day later two more cases of the divorce through of triple talaq for bizarre reasons were reported from the state.


    In one case the man had allegedly divorced his wife to escape from the responsibility of providing treatment to their physically challenged daughter.


    In the second case the victim had alleged her husband had ended their two-year-old marriage by pronouncing ''triple talaq'' on phone due to her dark complexion.


    SHO Pandey said a case has been registered against Rashid under various sections of the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Act, 2019 and is being investigated.


    In another case, a man allegedly divorced his wife on Monday in full public view in her village market in Unnao district using the outlawed custom and mocking at the new law that declares the oral diktat a penal offence.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Trapped, Tortured In Saudi, Ludhiana Woman Kuldeep Kaur Seeks Sushma Swaraj's Help

    Trapped, Tortured In Saudi, Ludhiana Woman Kuldeep Kaur Seeks Sushma Swaraj's Help
    Her employers, a Saudi couple, trapped her in Dubai since the past six months. They are ill treating her. I request External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj to bring her back to India

    Trapped, Tortured In Saudi, Ludhiana Woman Kuldeep Kaur Seeks Sushma Swaraj's Help

    Indian-Origin Student Arshad Vhora, 19, Shot Dead In US, Relative Injured

    Indian-Origin Student Arshad Vhora, 19, Shot Dead In US, Relative Injured
    An Indian-origin college student was shot dead during a robbery attempt at a gas station in the US on Thursday and his relative critically injured, media reports said.

    Indian-Origin Student Arshad Vhora, 19, Shot Dead In US, Relative Injured

    On Hearing Of Mother's Death, Indian-Origin Man Dies Of Shock In Dubai

      An Indian expat died of a heart attack here after hearing the news of his mother's demise back home, the media reported.

    On Hearing Of Mother's Death, Indian-Origin Man Dies Of Shock In Dubai

    Bench Dedication Ceremony Planned For Indian Girl Sherin Mathews In US

    Bench Dedication Ceremony Planned For Indian Girl Sherin Mathews In US

    Bench Dedication Ceremony Planned For Indian Girl Sherin Mathews In US

    Leading Indian Councillor Ranjit Dheer Honoured By Queen Elizabeth II In United Kingdom

    Leading Indian Councillor Ranjit Dheer Honoured By Queen Elizabeth II In United Kingdom
    Ranjit Dheer, a leading Indian-origin magistrate councillor, has been honoured by Queen Elizabeth II with a prestigious award for his services to the UK government.

    Leading Indian Councillor Ranjit Dheer Honoured By Queen Elizabeth II In United Kingdom

    22 Indian Teens Go Missing In France, CBI Files Complaint

    22 Indian Teens Go Missing In France, CBI Files Complaint
    The officials alleged that agents had charged Rs. 25- 30 lakh from the parents of each of the minors for sending them abroad.

    22 Indian Teens Go Missing In France, CBI Files Complaint