Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
International

US Backs India On CPEC, Says It Crosses 'Disputed' Territory

IANS, 04 Oct, 2017 11:21 AM
    The Trump administration on Wednesday threw its weight behind India's opposition to the China- Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), saying it passes through a disputed territory and no country should put itself into a position of dictating the Belt and Road initiative.
     
    India skipped the Belt and Road Forum (BRF) in May this year due to its sovereignty concerns over the nearly USD 60 billion CPEC, a flagship project of China's prestigious One Belt One Road (OBOR), which passes through Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
     
    Having returned from his maiden trip to India last week wherein he met his counterpart Nirmala Sitharaman and Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US Defence Secretary Jim Mattis today appeared to be a strong opponent of China's ambitious OBOR initiative.
     
    "In a globalised world, there are many belts and many roads, and no one nation should put itself into a position of dictating 'one belt, one road'," Mattis told members of the Senate Armed Services Committee during a Congressional hearing.
     
    "That said, the One Belt One Road also goes through disputed territory, and I think, that in itself shows the vulnerability of trying to establish that sort of a dictate," Mattis said apparently referring to India's position on CPEC.
     
    Mattis was responding to a question from Senator Charles Peters over OBOR and China's policy in this regard.
     
    "The One Belt One Road strategy seeks to secure China's control over both the continental and the maritime interest, in their eventual hope of dominating Eurasia and exploiting natural resources there, things that are certainly at odds with US policy. So what role do you see China playing in Afghanistan, and particularly related to their One Belt One Road," Peter had asked. 

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Sushma Swaraj Wants ‘Abused’ Indian Wife Mohammadi Begum To Return From Pakistan

    Sushma Swaraj Wants ‘Abused’ Indian Wife Mohammadi Begum To Return From Pakistan
    They said Mohammadi Begum, who hails from Telangana, was living with her husband in Sialkot. She complained to her parents that she was being harassed and beaten up by her husband and in-laws and that she wanted to come back to India.

    Sushma Swaraj Wants ‘Abused’ Indian Wife Mohammadi Begum To Return From Pakistan

    Indian Sufi Clerics Blame Pakistani Newspaper For Their Troubles

    Indian Sufi Clerics Blame Pakistani Newspaper For Their Troubles
    A little-known Urdu newspaper in Pakistan had accused two Indian sufi clerics of being RAW agents thus getting them into trouble with intelligence sleuths who wanted to know the truth, the men said in Delhi on Monday.

    Indian Sufi Clerics Blame Pakistani Newspaper For Their Troubles

    Pakistan Court Orders Separate Counting Of Sikhs In Census

    Pakistan Court Orders Separate Counting Of Sikhs In Census
    A Pakistani court today ordered authorities to ensure separate counting of Sikhs in the nationwide census, after the community members filed a plea for not being counted among the religions

    Pakistan Court Orders Separate Counting Of Sikhs In Census

    Pervez Musharraf Wanted 'Secret Deal' To Form Joint Government: Nawaz Sharif

    Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has said that former dictator Pervez Musharraf had offered him a "secret deal" to return to the country from exile in Saudi Arabia to form a joint government in 2008.

    Pervez Musharraf Wanted 'Secret Deal' To Form Joint Government: Nawaz Sharif

    Belgian Police Arrest Man Trying To Drive Into Crowd In Antwerp

    Belgian Police Arrest Man Trying To Drive Into Crowd In Antwerp
    French-Tunisian is arrested after trying to drive a car loaded with liquid gas, assault rifle and knives into shoppers in terror attack in Antwerp

    Belgian Police Arrest Man Trying To Drive Into Crowd In Antwerp

    London Terror Attack: 52-Yr-Old Khalid Masood Named By Police As Responsible For Westminster Attack

    London Terror Attack: 52-Yr-Old Khalid Masood Named By Police As Responsible For Westminster Attack
    The man believed to have carried out the attack in Westminster has been named by police as Khalid Masood.

    London Terror Attack: 52-Yr-Old Khalid Masood Named By Police As Responsible For Westminster Attack