Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
International

White House Receives Changes To End Work Sanction For Spouses With H-1B Visa

Darpan News Desk IANS, 22 Feb, 2019 11:17 PM

    The White House has formally received the proposed changes in the existing regulations to end the work authorization for certain categories of H-1B foreign work visas.


    The move that would impact over 90,000 spouses of H-1B visa holders, an overwhelming number of whom are Indians, was sent by the Department of Homeland Security to the White House Office of management for Budget on Wednesday, officials said.


    It's now for the White House to take a final call on it, before a formal regulation in this regard could be issued and the Department of Homeland Security can inform a federal court, where a lawsuit on this issue is pending.


    Now White House would carry out its review of the proposed regulation, take inputs from various agencies, before taking a final call. The entire process could take from a few weeks to several months.


    US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which manages the programme said the proposed regulation was not final until the review and comment process was complete. As per the existing process, once White House gives its nod, the regulation would be published in federal register with a 30-day comment period.


    It is only after that the new changes can come into effect. The Trump administration is moving ahead with its proposed regulation, despite strong resistance from a group of US lawmakers including Senator Kamala Harris, and Silicon Valley companies who argue that this is not only anti-women, but also prevents talented spouses of H-1B visa holders from working in the United States.


    Meanwhile, the US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia has extended the time for various stakeholders, including the Department of Homeland Security to submit its responses on the lawsuit against it filed by the organisation Save Jobs USA.


    In September, Save Jobs USA, which had filed the lawsuit, urged the court to remove the abeyance and move forward with the case.


    The case is before a three-member bench including Indian American Sree Srinivasan. The move comes after the Department of Homeland Security sought a stay on all existing deadlines because of the more than one-month-long partial shutdown of the federal government.


    Save Jobs USA has expressed its disappointment over the slow progress on this issue.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Indian-Origin British Lawmaker Keith Vaz Accused Of Bullying Parliament Staff

    Indian-Origin British Lawmaker Keith Vaz Accused Of Bullying Parliament Staff
    The 61-year-old Labour party MP is accused of making harsh comments to a Commons' clerk when she reportedly raised an issue about parliamentary rules and standards.

    Indian-Origin British Lawmaker Keith Vaz Accused Of Bullying Parliament Staff

    Did People Vote For Us To Become Deaf And Dumb, Asks Navjot Sidhu

    Navjot Singh Sidhu said this on the policy of regularisation of illegal colonies.

    Did People Vote For Us To Become Deaf And Dumb, Asks Navjot Sidhu

    Sukhpal Khaira Group Declares AAP Punjab Unit Autonomous

    Sukhpal Khaira Group Declares AAP Punjab Unit Autonomous
    Rejects Cheema's appointment as leader of Oppn; 11 AAP MLAs rush to Delhi in protest

    Sukhpal Khaira Group Declares AAP Punjab Unit Autonomous

    Pakistan Welcomes Modi's Phone Call To Imran Khan, Wants Resumption Of Talks With India

    Pakistan Welcomes Modi's Phone Call To Imran Khan, Wants Resumption Of Talks With India
    Pakistan on Thursday welcomed Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's congratulatory phone call to Prime Minister in-waiting Imran Khan earlier this week and said it hopes that the gesture will pave the way for bilateral talks.

    Pakistan Welcomes Modi's Phone Call To Imran Khan, Wants Resumption Of Talks With India

    Indian Among 3 Foreigners Kidnapped, Killed In Afghanistan

    Indian Among 3 Foreigners Kidnapped, Killed In Afghanistan
    An Indian national and two others working for international food company Sodexo in Afghanistan were kidnapped and killed by gunmen here on Thursday.

    Indian Among 3 Foreigners Kidnapped, Killed In Afghanistan

    Obama Endorses Indian-Tibetan Aftab Pureval For November Congressional Polls

    Obama Endorses Indian-Tibetan Aftab Pureval For November Congressional Polls
    Barack Obama has endorsed Aftab Pureval, an American of Indian-Tibetan descent, for the Congressional elections in November as the former US President released his first endorsement list of over 80 Democratic candidates.

    Obama Endorses Indian-Tibetan Aftab Pureval For November Congressional Polls