Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

White House Receives Changes To End Work Sanction For Spouses With H-1B Visa

Darpan News Desk IANS, 22 Feb, 2019 11:17 PM

    The White House has formally received the proposed changes in the existing regulations to end the work authorization for certain categories of H-1B foreign work visas.


    The move that would impact over 90,000 spouses of H-1B visa holders, an overwhelming number of whom are Indians, was sent by the Department of Homeland Security to the White House Office of management for Budget on Wednesday, officials said.


    It's now for the White House to take a final call on it, before a formal regulation in this regard could be issued and the Department of Homeland Security can inform a federal court, where a lawsuit on this issue is pending.


    Now White House would carry out its review of the proposed regulation, take inputs from various agencies, before taking a final call. The entire process could take from a few weeks to several months.


    US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which manages the programme said the proposed regulation was not final until the review and comment process was complete. As per the existing process, once White House gives its nod, the regulation would be published in federal register with a 30-day comment period.


    It is only after that the new changes can come into effect. The Trump administration is moving ahead with its proposed regulation, despite strong resistance from a group of US lawmakers including Senator Kamala Harris, and Silicon Valley companies who argue that this is not only anti-women, but also prevents talented spouses of H-1B visa holders from working in the United States.


    Meanwhile, the US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia has extended the time for various stakeholders, including the Department of Homeland Security to submit its responses on the lawsuit against it filed by the organisation Save Jobs USA.


    In September, Save Jobs USA, which had filed the lawsuit, urged the court to remove the abeyance and move forward with the case.


    The case is before a three-member bench including Indian American Sree Srinivasan. The move comes after the Department of Homeland Security sought a stay on all existing deadlines because of the more than one-month-long partial shutdown of the federal government.


    Save Jobs USA has expressed its disappointment over the slow progress on this issue.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Prominent Indian Professor Dipak Jain Appointed As New Head Of Top Chinese Business School

    Prominent Indian Professor Dipak Jain Appointed As New Head Of Top Chinese Business School
    Mr Jain, 61, will take over as the European president of the Shanghai-based China Europe International Business School (CEIBS), replacing Pedro Nueno who held the position for 28 years.

    Prominent Indian Professor Dipak Jain Appointed As New Head Of Top Chinese Business School

    Thousands Sign Petition To Save Hindu School From Closure In London

    Thousands Sign Petition To Save Hindu School From Closure In London
    The Akshar Educational Trust, which runs the school set up in 1992, had announced its closure last month as part of plans to exit the education sector completely by July 2020.

    Thousands Sign Petition To Save Hindu School From Closure In London

    Hyderabad Man Brought Back From Dubai, Arrested For Killing Wife In May

    Hyderabad Man Brought Back From Dubai, Arrested For Killing Wife In May
    Akber Ali Khan was brought back here with the help of the Indian Embassy and Dubai authorities and handed over to the Police.

    Hyderabad Man Brought Back From Dubai, Arrested For Killing Wife In May

    Afghan Sikh Widows Afraid To Return For Last Rites

    Afghan Sikh Widows Afraid To Return For Last Rites
    Manmeet Kaur, 41, was having tea with her two young daughters at their rented house in old Mahavir Nagar in New Delhi when a phone call from her brother-in-law shattered her world. 

    Afghan Sikh Widows Afraid To Return For Last Rites

    Won't Return To India Till I Feel 'Safe From Unfair Prosecution': Zakir Naik

    Won't Return To India Till I Feel 'Safe From Unfair Prosecution': Zakir Naik
    Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik, wanted by Indian agencies on charges of inciting youths to take up terror activities, on Wednesday said he will not return to India unless he was assured fair prosecution.

    Won't Return To India Till I Feel 'Safe From Unfair Prosecution': Zakir Naik

    Indian NRI Tojo Mathew Wins 7 Million Dirham Lottery Before Leaving UAE

    Indian NRI Tojo Mathew Wins 7 Million Dirham Lottery Before Leaving UAE
    An Indian man won a 7 million dirham ($1.9 million) lottery for a ticket he purchased at the Abu Dhabi International Airport just before boarding a flight for India, a media report said on Wednesday.

    Indian NRI Tojo Mathew Wins 7 Million Dirham Lottery Before Leaving UAE