Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

12-Yr-Old Indian-Origin Boy Rahul Doshi Is UK's 'Child Genius'

Darpan News Desk, 21 Aug, 2017 09:45 AM
    A 12-year-old Indian-origin boy, believed to be having an IQ higher than Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, has been crowned the UK’s “Child Genius” in a popular television quiz competition.
     
     
    Rahul Doshi, who a few days ago became an overnight sensation after answering all questions correctly in some of the earlier rounds, won the Channel 4 show “Child Genius” by beating his nine-year-old opponent Ronan 10-4 in the programme’s finale last night.
     
     
    The schoolboy from north London clinched the title by answering a question on 19th Century artists William Holman Hunt and John Everett Millais. “It didn’t sink in straight away, but it was really nice,” Rahul said after winning the title.
     
     
     
    In the final, Rahul impressed with knowledge of his chosen subject — Edward Jenner’s medical innovation and methodology in 18th Century England. The final followed an intense competition — aired through the week — which saw the candidates showing off their maths, English, spelling and history skills as well as memory powers.
     
     
    Rahul, whose ambition is to become a financial adviser, had revealed his strategy for the final as: “The key is to block out everything else and remain calm. So just focus on your goal. Mine was to answer as many questions as I could correctly and that helped me stay calm and do quite well in the early stages.”
     
     
    Rahul has an IQ of 162, which is believed to be higher than the likes of Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, and qualifies him to be a member of Mensa club — the largest and oldest high IQ society in the world.
     
     
    He was cheered on by techie father Minesh and pharmacist mother Komal during the show.
     
     
    “I was bursting with pride,” said Minesh, an IT manager, who had entered his son into the competition. Twenty contestants aged eight to 12 were whittled down to one winner over the course of a week as part of the “Child Genius” 2017 series. 

    MORE National ARTICLES

    First Comes Fire, Then Comes Marriage: Busy Year For Fort McMurray Couple

    First Comes Fire, Then Comes Marriage: Busy Year For Fort McMurray Couple
    Four days before her May 7 wedding, the bride-to-be was planning to pick up her dress from the seamstress after work.

    First Comes Fire, Then Comes Marriage: Busy Year For Fort McMurray Couple

    Quebec Police Watchdog Investigating After Man Dies In Police Custody

    LONGUEUIL, Que. — Quebec's police watchdog agency is looking into the death of a 24-year-old man who died in police custody in northern Quebec on Friday night.

    Quebec Police Watchdog Investigating After Man Dies In Police Custody

    Harjit Sajjan Issues Facebook Apology For Falsely Claiming He Was Architect Of Operation Medusa

    Harjit Sajjan Issues Facebook Apology For Falsely Claiming He Was Architect Of Operation Medusa
    The Federal Defence Minister Said In A Facebook Post That He Had Made A Mistake By Describing Himself As The Architect Of Operation Medusa, In Which 12 Canadian Soldiers Died.

    Harjit Sajjan Issues Facebook Apology For Falsely Claiming He Was Architect Of Operation Medusa

    Woman, 2 Children Dead After Crash On Lougheed Highway In Coquitlam: RCMP

    Woman, 2 Children Dead After Crash On Lougheed Highway In Coquitlam: RCMP
    Investigators say the accident happened early Friday night on the Lougheed Highway just east of Vancouver.

    Woman, 2 Children Dead After Crash On Lougheed Highway In Coquitlam: RCMP

    B.C. Breaks Record For Daily Overdose Ambulance Calls, 29% Increase Last Week, With Eight Deaths

    B.C. Breaks Record For Daily Overdose Ambulance Calls, 29% Increase Last Week, With Eight Deaths
    VANCOUVER — New numbers from health officials and first responders in British Columbia confirm a provincewide drug overdose crisis shows no sign of abating.

    B.C. Breaks Record For Daily Overdose Ambulance Calls, 29% Increase Last Week, With Eight Deaths

    B.C. Drunk Driver Samuel Alec Gets Over Eight Years For Killing Three People Near Pemberton

    B.C. Drunk Driver Samuel Alec Gets Over Eight Years For Killing Three People Near Pemberton
    VANCOUVER — A British Columbia man who killed three people while driving drunk along a winding mountain highway has been sentenced to eight years and four months in prison.

    B.C. Drunk Driver Samuel Alec Gets Over Eight Years For Killing Three People Near Pemberton