Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Israel-Hamas hostage deal offers hope for longer-term peace in Gaza: Trudeau

Israel-Hamas hostage deal offers hope for longer-term peace in Gaza: Trudeau
The Israeli government said it would extend the truce by an additional day for every 10 hostages released, while Hamas is promising that hundreds of trucks carrying humanitarian aid, including fuel, will be allowed to enter Gaza.

Israel-Hamas hostage deal offers hope for longer-term peace in Gaza: Trudeau

Fighting inflation half-heartedly would be ‘huge mistake,’ BoC's Macklem warns

Fighting inflation half-heartedly would be ‘huge mistake,’ BoC's Macklem warns
The central bank opted to hold its key interest rate steady at five per cent at its last two decision meetings as economic growth halts. It has said it is also taking into consideration that many Canadians will have to renew their mortgages at higher interest rates, meaning more economic pullback is on the way.

Fighting inflation half-heartedly would be ‘huge mistake,’ BoC's Macklem warns

Immigration minister welcomes news Canadians can get tourist visas to India again

Immigration minister welcomes news Canadians can get tourist visas to India again
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says he's happy to hear that Canadians can once again apply online for tourist visas to India after two months of diplomatic tensions. The decision, which is effective as of today, was confirmed in a statement on social media by the High Commission of India in Ottawa. 

Immigration minister welcomes news Canadians can get tourist visas to India again

India restores e-visa services for Canadian nationals, easing diplomatic row between the 2 countries

India restores e-visa services for Canadian nationals, easing diplomatic row between the 2 countries
India restored electronic visa services for Canadian nationals, an Indian foreign ministry official said Wednesday, two months after Canada alleged the South Asian nation was involved in the assassination of a Sikh separatist in Canada. The electronic visa was back in order on Wednesday, the official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to reporters.  

India restores e-visa services for Canadian nationals, easing diplomatic row between the 2 countries

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum
The B-C government says it will launch a website to seek public input on a new museum that would highlight the history, culture and contributions of South Asian heritages in the province.  Lana Popham, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says public input, especially from South Asian communities, is vital to creating a first-of-its-kind museum.

Province to launch website to seek public input on South Asian museum

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes
The City of Penticton says it has temporarily evacuated 24 properties in a mobile home park over fears of a potential rock slide. The city says it was notified on Tuesday morning about a large rock that may break off a cliff, and a geotechnical engineer's review prompted the evacuation of the properties in the Pleasant Valley Mobile Home Park.   

24 properties evacuated as precarious rock looms over Penticton homes