Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning
British Columbia's gang squad and the Abbotsford Police Department say a sensitive law enforcement intelligence document was posted on an online media site. A statement from police and the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the document was part of a response to the ongoing gang war that has killed numerous people in the last several years.

Leak of B.C. police document on gang murders prompts investigations, warning

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war
Canada's long-standing support of Israel in votes at the United Nations has come under renewed scrutiny during the latest Israel-Hamas war.  On Oct. 27, Canada abstained on a motion calling for a sustained humanitarian truce in the Gaza Strip, and last week, it joined Israel and the U.S. in voting down a motion about Israeli settlements in the West Bank.

Canada's long-standing support of Israel at the UN faces pressure in Hamas war

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation
Three priority transit corridors have been selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation. Metro Vancouver’s new bus rapid transit routes will be along King George Boulevard from Surrey Centre to White Rock, from Langley Centre to Haney Place and from Metrotown to the Northshore.  

3 priority transit corridors selected by the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers
The B.C. government is introducing new protections for ride-hailing and food delivery app workers including a minimum wage, compensation for expenses and other standards. A minimum hourly wage of $20.10 — which is $3.35 more than the current general minimum wage — would apply for a gig worker's "engaged time," beginning when they accept an assignment to the time of completion.

B.C. announces minimum wage and other labour protections for app-based gig workers

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition
Mike Farnworth, minister of public safety and solicitor general, says all members of the Surrey Police Board have been suspended and he's appointed former Abbotsford chief constable Mike Serr to take over all their duties. Farnworth says he acted because of a “lack of progress” from the City of Surrey in the transition to the Surrey Police Service. 

B.C. replaces Surrey Police Board with administrator over troubled transition

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery
Burnaby R-C-M-P are hoping the public can help them identify a suspect wanted for a brazen robbery that happened almost two months ago. Police say a man was sitting in his vehicle at about 1:30 a.m., on September 27th when the suspect opened the car door, assaulted him and stole 33-hundred dollars.

Help ID suspect in Burnaby robbery