Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Road closures in effect in Surrey

Road closures in effect in Surrey
Surrey RCMP is advising the public of road closures following a serious collision involving a pedestrian on Fraser Highway. On Thursday, at approximately 8:15 a.m. police responded to the report of a youth struck by a vehicle in the 19400-block of Fraser Highway. The pedestrian has been transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Road closures in effect in Surrey

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario
The trial has heard that Veltman hit the Afzaal family with his truck while they were out for a walk on a summer evening. 46 year old Salman Afzaal; his 44-year-old wife, Madiha Salman; their 15-year-old daughter, Yumna; and her 74-year-old grandmother, Talat Afzaal, were killed in the attack, while the couple's nine-year-old son was seriously hurt but survived.

Veltman found guilty of first-degree murder in killing of Muslim family in Ontario

No Canadians on updated exit list for the Rafah border crossing, hundreds still stuck

No Canadians on updated exit list for the Rafah border crossing, hundreds still stuck
Global Affairs Canada said Wednesday that a total of 367 Canadian citizens, permanent residents and family members have been able to get out, including nine people who left without the Canadian government's help. Two more people were able to travel to Egypt via the Rafah border crossing on Wednesday, and 10 made the trip on Monday.   

No Canadians on updated exit list for the Rafah border crossing, hundreds still stuck

Confirmed cases of Salmonella in BC

Confirmed cases of Salmonella in BC
The B-C Centre for Disease Dontrol says there have been eight confirmed cases of a rare strain of salmonella since mid-November. The centre says the outbreak has been linked to imported cantaloupes sold under the label “Malichita” and those sold from October 11th to November 14th should be disposed of.

Confirmed cases of Salmonella in BC

Helpline and funding for groups to combat hate-motivated violence in B.C.

Helpline and funding for groups to combat hate-motivated violence in B.C.
The British Columbia government is offering groups affected by hate crimes up to $10,000 each in a bid to combat what it says is a spike in racially motivated incidents across the province. Premier David Eby said Wednesday the province will also launch a racist incident helpline starting in the spring to refer victims who experienced such attacks to counselling and other support services.  

Helpline and funding for groups to combat hate-motivated violence in B.C.

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, Freeland sidesteps Netanyahu rebuke of Trudeau

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, Freeland sidesteps Netanyahu rebuke of Trudeau
Israel began its latest war against Hamas, which Canada has listed as a terrorist entity since 2002, after its militants killed 1,200 people in Israel on Oct. 7. That included hundreds of civilians in their homes, in collective farming communities known as kibbutzim and at an outdoor music festival. Another 240 people were taken hostage.

Two more Canadians leave Gaza Strip, Freeland sidesteps Netanyahu rebuke of Trudeau