Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died
Dr. Tracy Pickett, a specialist in emergency and clinical forensic medicine who was called as an expert witness by the Crown, had not finished testifying in B.C. Supreme Court when she was found dead on Sept. 28. She had testified about injuries suffered by the 13-year-old girl Ali is accused of killing.  

Judge tells Ibrahim Ali jury to disregard testimony of Crown witness who died

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years
Provincial court Judge Glenn Lee told the court in Richmond, B.C., that Tim Goerner will still be young when his sentence is done and he can then spread a message to people about the dangers of drinking and driving. The court heard he had been drinking at a party before the high-speed crash that killed Emily Selwood and Evan Smith as they walked down a sidewalk on the university campus in the early morning hours of Sept. 26, 2021.

Judge says man who hit and killed two fellow UBC students should serve 3 years

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police
Hopley, 58, is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant and has a history of convictions for assault, property offences and sexual crimes that include three offences against children. He was declared a long-term offender and handed a six-year prison term for the 2011 abduction of a three-year-old boy from his home in Sparwood in southeastern British Columbia.  

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029
The latest announcement, which also comes as Liberals face a major dip in the polls, puts the government on track to build about 29,200 homes on public lands by 2029. Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos also said on Tuesday the Canada Lands Corp. is setting a new target to include at least 20 per cent affordable housing across its projects.  

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa
A first group of 20-25 Canadians looking to flee Gaza was able to leave on Tuesday, Global Affairs Canada has confirmed, as the government works to evacuate the rest of its citizens from the besieged Palestinian enclave.  Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly had confirmed earlier in the day that some Canadians had successfully departed. 

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa

Body found in Surrey

Body found in Surrey
Surrey R-C-M-P say they were called to a residence in the 161-hundred block of 110 Avenue on Sunday. Officers found the deceased victim upon arrival and arrested one person, who has since been released.

Body found in Surrey