Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks
The UK was honoured as this year’s winner in both the People’s Choice and Judge’s Competition Award, based on a tightly choreographed performance, and in spite of stiff competition from Team Macedo Pirotecnia representing Malaysia, and Team Pyro Tact representing Portugal.

United Kingdom is the winner of the Honda Celebration of Light Fireworks

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Remote access fraud in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster have issued a warning about what they call "remote access" or "tech support" scams, after a member of the public reported that someone else had accessed the cryptocurrency wallet on his phone. Police say the scams often begin with the victim receiving an unsolicited phone call, or they may click on a pop-up message while browsing the Internet.

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say a search warrant led to the discovery of what they describe as a "sophisticated forged identification lab." R-C-M-P say they conducted the search in December 2022, and criminal charges were approved against a man in early May this year. 

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

1 in hospital in serious crash

1 in hospital in serious crash
Police in Metro Vancouver are looking for witnesses to a serious crash that sent one person to hospital yesterday morning. Delta Police say it happened along River Road at around 8 a-m, when a white Volkswagen Jetta collided with a semi-truck.

1 in hospital in serious crash

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires
Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma said the weather has offered "much-needed relief" to communities and firefighting crews. Several evacuation orders and alerts have been lifted around the Antler and Shetland creek blazes, she said.

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group. RCMP say Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, also received one year on probation.

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom