Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Senior dies in motorcycle crash
A 71-year-old man is dead after a motorcycle crash in Twin Bays. R-C-M-P say it happened on Saturday on Highway 3-A.

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results
Burnaby's hospital is the first in the Fraser Health region to get a new system aimed at speeding up lab results. The 1.5-million-dollar Beckman Autoline D-x-A five-thousand system has a conveyor for moving test tubes between analyzers.

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk
A man is facing charges after a three-year-old boy was killed in Edmonton when a pickup truck hit him along with his mother and sister. The crash happened in the southwest neighbourhood of Allard on June 27.

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel
A British Columbia boat owner has been fined $13,500 after failing to remove the partially sunken vessel from a bay along the coast of Vancouver Island. Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the owner was given a deadline last March to remove the 12-metre fishing vessel from the waters near Gold River on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam
Police in British Columbia are warning the public about what they describe as a "hit man" scam. Prince George RCMP say the fraud scheme involves victims who receive texts or emails with threatening messages saying the sender is being sent to kill them. 

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week
Parks Canada says it realizes wildfire evacuees from Jasper worry about what rotting food will do to their homes and that others wonder when a critical highway through the national park will reopen, but it says the blaze continues to burn out of control and remains a threat to the town. A statement from the federal agency on Sunday said requests have poured in from people asking for help in retrieving important personal items or to remove food, fridges and freezers.

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week