Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation
On March 10, 2022, one count of Sexual Assault was laid against 68-year-old, Brian Robert Walks and a warrant was issued for his arrest. He was arrested on March 13 and later released on court-imposed conditions which limit his access to persons under the age of 16 years.

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner
On May 3, 2022, 39-year-old, Giovanni Robert Cipparone, was charged with four counts of Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking in Property Obtained by Crime and four counts of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime. Giovanni has been served a summons to appear in court later this month.    

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash
An information charging Cst. Randhawa with one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm contrary to section 320.13(2) of the Criminal Code was sworn on May 18, 2022, under Provincial Court file number 248979. The first appearance on this matter is scheduled for June 15, 2022, in Surrey Provincial Court.    

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash

Rare case of monkeypox in a man who recently traveled to Canada from US

Rare case of monkeypox in a man who recently traveled to Canada from US
U.S. health officials said they are in contact with officials in the U.K. and Canada as part of the investigation. The U.S. case poses no risk to the public, and the Massachusetts resident is hospitalized but in good condition, officials said.

Rare case of monkeypox in a man who recently traveled to Canada from US

Omicron tripled cases in Canadian adults: study

Omicron tripled cases in Canadian adults: study
More than 5,000 Canadian adults — members of the Angus Reid Forum, a public polling cohort — participated in the fourth phase of the Action to Beat Coronavirus (Ab-C) study. The findings of the study were published as a letter to the editor in The New England Journal of Medicine Wednesday.

Omicron tripled cases in Canadian adults: study

Liberals reject NDP call to hike GST rebate

Liberals reject NDP call to hike GST rebate
Singh wants Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to fund the benefit increases by redirecting a $2.6-billion tax credit promised in the recent budget to help companies build carbon capture and storage systems. 

Liberals reject NDP call to hike GST rebate