Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Telus bulking up reach in B.C., Alberta

Telus bulking up reach in B.C., Alberta
Canada's third-largest telecom company says the investments will be in network infrastructure, operations and spectrum, and will help deliver 5G to remote communities.

Telus bulking up reach in B.C., Alberta

'Circle of care' for neurodiverse kids in B.C.

'Circle of care' for neurodiverse kids in B.C.
The plan is to open 40 so-called family connections centres, or hubs, across the province. Four are slated to provide services under a pilot program from next year — three in northwestern B.C., and another in the central Okanagan.

'Circle of care' for neurodiverse kids in B.C.

Man pleads guilty to killing mother and toddler

Man pleads guilty to killing mother and toddler
Mchale Busch, 24, and her son, Noah McConnell, were found dead in an apartment complex in Hinton, about 250 kilometres west of Edmonton, on Sept. 17, 2021.    

Man pleads guilty to killing mother and toddler

Canada moving on national adaptation strategy

Canada moving on national adaptation strategy
The strategy, which the Liberals have promised will be ready by this fall, is intended to set goals for Canada to adapt its built and natural environment, with deadlines in both 2030 and 2050.

Canada moving on national adaptation strategy

Man charged with sexual assault after allegedly groping two women

Man charged with sexual assault after allegedly groping two women
A 29-year-old woman was standing outside the Vancouver Art Gallery, near Howe Street and West Georgia, when she was groped by a man she did not know. Minutes later, a 24-year-old woman was walking near West Georgia and Thurlow Street when she was also sexually assaulted. A witness to that incident reported the incident to police and began following the suspect from a distance.    

Man charged with sexual assault after allegedly groping two women

VPD investigates fatal 4-car collision

VPD investigates fatal 4-car collision
Police say in a news release that a Toyota Corolla had topped the speed limit when it crossed into oncoming traffic on Granville Street at West 46th Avenue. They say the vehicle side-swiped a taxi, struck a Porsche, and went airborne over a truck before landing on top of a Hyundai Elantra and coming to rest on the pavement.

VPD investigates fatal 4-car collision