Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall
The 15-year-old victim was walking in Pacific Centre Mall around 11:45 a.m. on May 8 when a man approached him from behind and leg-swept him to the ground. The alleged suspect fled after the assault, but was followed by mall security.

Man leg-sweeps teen to ground at Pacific Centre Mall

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires
Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair says it's advancing $416 million to rebuild homes lost in the 2021 fires, including the razed village of Lytton, in response to a provincial request for disaster financial assistance.

$416 million in disaster funding comes through for homes lost in B.C. wildfires

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition
The micro-blogging platform had 229 million users in the first quarter. Musk has signed a $44 billion deal to take over Twitter, of which he will pay $21 billion from his own pocket while the rest will come as a loan from a consortium of banks.

Musk puts Twitter deal 'on hold', says still committed to acquisition

Unseasonal chill sets records in southern B.C.

Unseasonal chill sets records in southern B.C.
Special weather statements covered mountain passes along the Coquihalla Highway and Highway 3, as flurries added to the two to 10 centimetres dumped earlier in the week.    

Unseasonal chill sets records in southern B.C.

Police probing after abuse hurled at NDP's Singh

Police probing after abuse hurled at NDP's Singh
The federal NDP leader had dropped by the campaign office for Jen Deck, the Ontario NDP candidate for Peterborough-Kawartha in the provincial election, on Tuesday afternoon.    

Police probing after abuse hurled at NDP's Singh

B.C. home sales move back to normal: association

B.C. home sales move back to normal: association
The association has released the B.C. home sales figures for April, showing 8,939 properties changed hands last month, a decrease of 34.9 per cent from the record high set in April last year.

B.C. home sales move back to normal: association