Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Victims of homicide in Abbotsford identified

Victims of homicide in Abbotsford identified
Investigators say 77-year-old Arnold De Jong and 76-year-old Joanne De Jong were found dead in a home on Monday. A statement from police says it's unclear if the killings were random or targeted.  

Victims of homicide in Abbotsford identified

Richmond RCMP needs the public’s help in locating 64 year-old Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj

Richmond RCMP needs the public’s help in locating 64 year-old Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj
He was last seen walking away from Richmond General Hospital, in the 7000 block of Westminster Highway, at approximately 7:45 p.m. on May 9th. Pushparj was reportedly very intoxicated when last seen, and family members are growing concerned for his well-being.

Richmond RCMP needs the public’s help in locating 64 year-old Nedunchellian Vasse Pushparaj

Feds invite businesses to donate to Ukrainians

Feds invite businesses to donate to Ukrainians
For now, the portal is designed to accept large-scale goods and services like housing, gift cards for high-priority items, transportation and jobs. Loblaws, Canadian Tire, Metro and Couche-Tard have already donated the equivalent of more than $400,000.

Feds invite businesses to donate to Ukrainians

Canada charters flights for Ukrainians fleeing war

Canada charters flights for Ukrainians fleeing war
Three Canadian charter flights to bring Ukrainians fleeing Russia's invasion will depart Poland in the coming weeks. Immigration Minister Sean Fraser says the flights will be available to some of the more than 90,000 Ukrainians approved for emergency travel to Canada.

Canada charters flights for Ukrainians fleeing war

Vancouver Police investigate teenagers swarming and assaulting peers in bullying rituals

Vancouver Police investigate teenagers swarming and assaulting peers in bullying rituals
VPD investigations include several swarmings, robberies, and reports of violent rituals meant to demean and humiliate peers. Since spring break, VPD officers have also encountered a concerning number of youth with imitation guns, bear spray, brass knuckles, and machetes near schools and in the community.    

Vancouver Police investigate teenagers swarming and assaulting peers in bullying rituals

Automakers want better plan for EV chargers

Automakers want better plan for EV chargers
The Canadian Vehicle Manufacturers Association, which represents Ford, General Motors and Stellantis, is issuing a list of recommendations to Ottawa today warning that EV adoption isn't going to happen if Canadians don't have confidence in the network of charging stations available.

Automakers want better plan for EV chargers