Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2023 11:48 AM
  • All evacuation orders lifted around Osoyoos as wildfire no longer spreading

All evacuation orders have now been lifted around the southern British Columbia community that saw a wildfire burn to its doorstep late last month as flames swept north across the border from Washington state.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has rescinded its state of local emergency as well as all evacuation orders related to the nearly 71-square kilometre Eagle Bluff wildfire just west of Osoyoos.

More than 130 properties in or around the southern Okanagan community have been evacuated since the fire jumped the border on July 29, but the orders have been eased as the BC Wildfire Service says the blaze is no longer likely to spread.

Evacuation orders have been downgraded to alerts and the regional district says homes that were previously on alert are cleared of further restrictions.

At the height of the emergency, evacuation orders covered more than 700 properties while 2,000 more were on alert as strong winds blew the fire toward Osoyoos, but a shift in winds the next day veered flames away from the town.

The wildfire service says over 400 active fires are burning in B.C., including nearly 20 sparked in the last day, but it's hoped cooler weather through Thursday will give crews a breather, although Environment Canada says lightning is linked to many of the rainstorms forecast across the province.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

CATSA working on airport security delays: Minister

CATSA working on airport security delays: Minister
Multiple airports are reporting extremely long lines at airport security and border screening checkpoints while passengers say they are being forced to wait for hours — and sometimes missing their flights.    

CATSA working on airport security delays: Minister

Most of B.C.'s health workers vaccinated

Most of B.C.'s health workers vaccinated
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says nearly 94 per cent of practising and regulated professionals have received at least two doses of a vaccine or have a medical exemption from her office as of April 25.

Most of B.C.'s health workers vaccinated

18 year old & 26 year old charged with second degree murder in Crab park homicide

18 year old & 26 year old charged with second degree murder in Crab park homicide
VPD officers were called to Crab Park around 10:20 a.m. May 7 after Wadden was assaulted by two men. Yesterday, 18-year-old David Bentil was charged with second-degree murder.    

18 year old & 26 year old charged with second degree murder in Crab park homicide

Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans
Defence chief Gen. Wayne Eyre told a parliamentary committee Monday night that the Defence Department had checked and verified the credentials of 3,800 Afghans, including interpreters, who supported the Canadian military.

Fraser pressed to explain status of 2,900 Afghans

Russian troops planted mines in playgrounds: Joly

Russian troops planted mines in playgrounds: Joly
Speaking from Berlin, she says she was told not to step off the sidewalk in Irpin because the Russians planted so many mines in the town, including around people's homes, before their retreat.

Russian troops planted mines in playgrounds: Joly

Delayed snowmelt increases flood risk in B.C.

Delayed snowmelt increases flood risk in B.C.
The May 1 Snow Survey Bulletin says a colder-than-normal April and start of May in the province has delayed the snowmelt. However, the bulletin says snow level is only one factor related to the spring flooding, and the risk of flood is possible even with normal or below-normal snowpacks.

Delayed snowmelt increases flood risk in B.C.