Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

All miners on surface following rescue operation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 29 Sep, 2021 09:55 AM
  • All miners on surface following rescue operation

The rescue of 39 miners trapped hundreds of metres underground in northern Ontario was complete Wednesday morning after the final worker emerged at the surface "giving fist bumps" to the rescue team.

A spokesman for Vale, the mining company that owns Totten Mine near Sudbury, Ont., said the last miner emerged shortly before 5 a.m.

"Everyone is elated," Jeff Lewis said. "The final four are in good spirits and happy to be back with loved ones."

Lewis said the last miner to emerge from the ground was taken away in an ambulance as a precautionary measure, but "walked onto the ambulance and was giving fist bumps to the mine rescue team in the warm room."

Vale CEO Eduardo Bartolomeo, who was at the mine, praised the team that rescued the miners who became trapped on Sunday.

"Bringing our 39 employees home safe and healthy was our top priority and we're glad that our emergency plans and procedures worked to deliver that outcome," he said in a statement. "All the employees are safe now and deserve our deep respect for their perseverance and strong will."

United Steelworkers, which represents the majority of the trapped miners, also thanked the rescue crews.

"In Sudbury, we have some of the best rescue crews in the entire world – workers who voluntarily train on an ongoing basis, in case an emergency like this ever happens," said Nick Larochelle, president of United Steelworkers union Local 6500.

The union said many rescue workers made four trips per shift as they carried heavy packs of supplies to the miners below.

The workers became trapped on Sunday when a scoop bucket being sent underground detached and blocked the mine shaft. Some of the miners were trapped as deep as 1,200 metres below the surface, the company said.

Vale said the workers stayed in underground "refuge stations" while awaiting rescue, and had access to food, water and medicine.

The rescue operation began on Monday night, with the trapped miners scaling a series of ladders to climb to the surface.

A team of 58 responders from the company's rescue team and the Ontario Mine Rescue agency helped the workers through their long trek up the ladder system, the company said.

Bartolomeo said the company will launch an investigation into what happened so that it "can learn from it and take steps to ensure it never happens again."

The province's Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development also said an inspection team will investigate the incident.

Totten Mine opened in 2014 in Worthington, Ont., and produces copper, nickel and precious metals. It employs about 200 people.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Air Canada executives to return 2020 bonuses

Air Canada executives to return 2020 bonuses
The airline company says in a news release the president and CEO, as well as executive vice-presidents of Air Canada, have volunteered to return their bonuses and share appreciation units.

Air Canada executives to return 2020 bonuses

Canada to receive 2.4M vaccine doses this week

Canada to receive 2.4M vaccine doses this week
Those shots are the only expected shipments in what should be a comparatively quiet week of vaccine deliveries. Moderna shipped 500,000 doses last week, with another 1.5 million shots due to arrive next week.

Canada to receive 2.4M vaccine doses this week

Border agency in 'urgent need' of biometric plan

Border agency in 'urgent need' of biometric plan
The Canada Border Services Agency issued a notice of procurement today inviting 15 firms to submit proposals for immediately setting up an Office of Biometrics and Identity Management.

Border agency in 'urgent need' of biometric plan

Vancouver Police vehicle collides with bus, two officers badly hurt end up in hospital

Vancouver Police vehicle collides with bus, two officers badly hurt end up in hospital
Officers were responding to a call of a man with a gun at around 11:15 p.m. on June 4. While driving, they collided with a transit bus near East 41st Avenue and Dumfries Street. Both officers were extracted from their vehicle by firefighters and paramedics and taken to hospital.

Vancouver Police vehicle collides with bus, two officers badly hurt end up in hospital

Vancouver Police identify 8th homicide victim as Alvis Anjesh Singh

Vancouver Police identify 8th homicide victim as Alvis Anjesh Singh
Investigators believe the suspect’s vehicle, a silver SUV with a sun roof, drove east on Kent Avenue after the shots were heard.  Police are looking for the three people who were seen inside that vehicle.

Vancouver Police identify 8th homicide victim as Alvis Anjesh Singh

Man shot in Sunday shooting: Langley RCMP

Man shot in Sunday shooting:  Langley RCMP
One man has been taken to hopsital due to injuries.  According to the Mounties, the victim is known to police.

Man shot in Sunday shooting: Langley RCMP