Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Almost Half Of EI Sickness-Benefit Recipients Off Work Longer Than Help Lasts

The Canadian Press, 14 Feb, 2019 09:18 PM

    OTTAWA — An internal government survey of people who used federal sickness benefits has found that nearly half were unable to work for longer than the 15 weeks the benefits last.


    The newly released documents detailing the results from a survey of people who did — and did not — claim Employment Insurance sickness benefits showed that of those who did receive payments, 48.6 per cent said they were unable to work for 15 weeks or more.


    Officials reviewing the figures note in a presentation from October that the figure could include people who never returned to work.


    Benefits recipients most often returned to work between 15 and 30 weeks, while 15 per cent of claimants didn't return to work for more than a year, says the presentation obtained by The Canadian Press under the access-to-information law.


    The survey was among the first pieces of research in a sweeping review of the sickness benefit, which hasn't been updated since it was introduced in 1971.


    Advocates say the figures support a years-long push, recently renewed in the House of Commons, to expand the program and provide more weeks of payments.


    Late last week, Liberal MP Mark Eyking kicked off the latest iteration when debate started on his motion to have a committee of MPs study extending the benefits beyond 15 weeks.


    During debate in the House of Commons on Thursday, Eyking argued increasing the number of weeks didn't mean Canadians would use all those weeks. It was simply an option, he said.


    The motion appears to have cross-party support, but New Democrats, who have been pushing the Liberals on the issue, chided the government for its inaction so far.


    Sickness benefits is the only special benefit under employment insurance that the Liberals haven't changed since coming to office in 2015, despite having supported previous proposals to extend benefits.


    Marie-Helene Dube, who has pushed for the change for a decade, said sickness benefits need to match today's reality where people with cancer, for instance, need more than 15 weeks before being well enough to head back to work.


    "This would allow thousands of Canadians to heal properly and return as active citizens in society," said Dube, a cancer survivor who started the campaign "15semaines" — French for 15 weeks.


    "Keeping this inadequate law in place is costing society dearly."


    In 2017, nearly four in 10 beneficiaries maxed out their benefits, a rate that has remained relatively stable for the last five years.


    The documents obtained by The Canadian Press note more claimants than non-claimants in the department's survey said they had "insufficient income to cover living expenses while on sick leave."


    Respondents in the ESDC survey skewed over age 45, which officials noted could affect findings. Figures on benefit usage have shown the older a claimant, the longer he or she usually requires benefits.


    The October presentation notes most illnesses or injuries were not work-related. Almost four in five respondents cited a physical condition for their inability to work, while just under one in five cited a mental-health condition.


    The presentation says that most illnesses "developed recently."


    In 2017, the most recent period for which figures are available, $1.6 billion in benefits was paid out to 379,000 claimants, who on average used 10 weeks of benefits.


    In 2012, the parliamentary budget office estimated that allowing people to claim sickness benefits for up to 50 weeks would cost about $900 million a year, and likely would have required an increase in EI premiums to cover the cost.


    The budget watchdog has been looking into the costs of the program, and is set to report on the effects of possible changes soon.

     

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Two People Killed Two Edmonton Convenience Store Workers On Same Night: Crown

    Two People Killed Two Edmonton Convenience Store Workers On Same Night: Crown
    A jury heard Tuesday that three people wearing bandanas over their faces and similar clothes walked into both stores on Dec. 18, 2015. In both robberies, one suspect was armed with a handgun and another had a machete.

    Two People Killed Two Edmonton Convenience Store Workers On Same Night: Crown

    B.C.'s Team-Based Health Care Renewal Will Include 50 New Clinical Pharmacists

    B.C.'s Team-Based Health Care Renewal Will Include 50 New Clinical Pharmacists
    Health Minister Adrian Dixsays the pharmacists will be embedded in the health teams announced last month as part of a renewal program to offer more care options to patients.

    B.C.'s Team-Based Health Care Renewal Will Include 50 New Clinical Pharmacists

    Openroad Auto Group Acquires Mercedes-Benz Surrey

    Openroad Auto Group Acquires Mercedes-Benz Surrey
    OpenRoad Auto Group, B.C.’s largest automotive retail group, is pleased to announce the acquisition of Mercedes-Benz Surrey. This newest addition to the OpenRoad family is the company’s first Mercedes-Benz store.

    Openroad Auto Group Acquires Mercedes-Benz Surrey

    Kelowna, B.C. Woman Says Feces From Plane Fell Through Car's Sunroof And Into Her Eyes

    Kelowna, B.C. Woman Says Feces From Plane Fell Through Car's Sunroof And Into Her Eyes
    A woman in Kelowna, B.C., says an afternoon drive with her son turned into a "devastating" experience when human feces fell from the sky and into her eyes from the open sunroof of their car.

    Kelowna, B.C. Woman Says Feces From Plane Fell Through Car's Sunroof And Into Her Eyes

    Trudeau To Talk Trans Mountain Pipeline With Indigenous Leaders In B.C.

    Trudeau To Talk Trans Mountain Pipeline With Indigenous Leaders In B.C.
    The prime minister is expected to meet with Indigenous leaders in British Columbia today, including a First Nations chief who has been a vocal supporter of the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

    Trudeau To Talk Trans Mountain Pipeline With Indigenous Leaders In B.C.

    Doug Ford Says He's Shocked By Lawsuit From Late Brother Rob Ford's Widow

    Doug Ford Says He's Shocked By Lawsuit From Late Brother Rob Ford's Widow
    TORONTO — Doug Ford says he is shocked by a lawsuit from his late brother Rob Ford's widow that was filed just days before the Ontario election, the latest in a string of controversies to plague the Tory leader.

    Doug Ford Says He's Shocked By Lawsuit From Late Brother Rob Ford's Widow