Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

As storm outages fixed in B.C., new tempest looms

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Jan, 2022 10:43 AM
  • As storm outages fixed in B.C., new tempest looms

VANCOUVER - Power has been restored in two Vancouver Island communities that lost electricity early last week as snow, ice and wind storms pounded parts of British Columbia, but forecasters warn another powerful system is on the way.

BC Hydro says service was restored to the northwestern Vancouver Island villages of Tahsis and Zeballos late Sunday after more than 700 customers lost heat and electricity last Tuesday. 

Hydro says crews faced challenging conditions, including ongoing storms and shoulder-deep snow, as they worked in the remote location.

Even as the lights came back on, Environment Canada issued another weather warning for northern parts of the Island, Haida Gwaii and B.C.'s north and central coasts, as winds gusting to 110 km/h hammered those regions.

Special weather statements also cover most of Vancouver Island and the inner south coast, including Metro Vancouver, as the weather office says another atmospheric river packing heavy rain is due to hit Tuesday and continue for 24 to 48 hours.

The River Forecast Centre has issued advisories covering Vancouver Island, the south coast and Fraser Valley, saying downpours coupled with rising temperatures have the potential to melt low elevation snow packs and cause "minor to significant flooding."

"The storms are several days away, so the exact location and intensity of heaviest rainfall is still uncertain," the agency that issues flood warnings and other notices for B.C. waterways said on its website.

Waterways were expected to begin rising on Tuesday and could peak the following day or by Thursday, the centre said.

Environment Canada reported several storms are embedded in the impending system although the post from the River Forecast Centre said conditions are not expected to be as extreme as late last year, when catastrophic flooding occurred in the Fraser Valley and southern Interior.

"The upcoming temperatures are not forecast to be as warm as the atmospheric river events in November," the centre said.

But it warned of "added vulnerabilities due to erosion and higher baseflow conditions" in areas still recovering from the mid-November floods and urged people to stay clear of fast‐flowing rivers and potentially unstable riverbanks.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts
Justice Minister David Lametti says he will appoint a special interlocutor to work with Indigenous communities and the government to propose changes to federal laws, policies and practices that are related to unmarked graves at residential schools.

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says
In a report published this morning, budget officer Yves Giroux says Ottawa topped up expenditures on its national housing strategy by nearly one quarter for an average of $3.7 billion annually over the past three years.

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian
O'Toole also reopened the door to a Canadian boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China, warning the Chinese government's recent actions show Canadians are not safe in the country.

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition
Today's arguments are expected to be the last before the actual extradition hearing in Meng's case begins in the B.C. Supreme Court later this week.

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There were 422 new cases from Friday to Saturday, marking the third day in a row that case counts topped 400. From Saturday to Sunday, there were 364 cases, while 293 cases were reported from Sunday to Monday.

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit
Starting Sept. 1, 2021, children 12 and under will be able to “Get on Board” any BC Transit or TransLink service for free as part of the provincial government’s commitment to efficient, reliable and affordable transit for families.    

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit