Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Apr, 2023 03:11 PM
  • Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

VANCOUVER - An appeal court has quashed the conviction of a British Columbia woman in the drowning death of a toddler she was babysitting, saying the original outcome was "the product of a miscarriage of justice."

Tammy Bouvette was originally charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty in 2013 to the lesser charge of criminal negligence in the death of 19-month-old Iyanna Teeple in Cranbrook, B.C.

The toddler was found unconscious and not breathing in a bathtub on May 26, 2011, and was flown to a Calgary hospital, where she later died.

The B.C. Court of Appeal ruling issued Wednesday says police and/or the BC Prosecution Service failed to disclose to Bouvette's lawyers several items of key evidence.

The ruling notes that it did not find bad faith or malice on behalf of the Crown, but the non-disclosure meant Bouvette was "deprived (of) the opportunity to make an informed decision about how to plead."

The ruling orders a stay of proceedings, saying retrying her case would be "unjust" and an "abuse of process" as she had already served her whole sentence.

"She has already been punished for the offence of criminal negligence causing death. It would amount to punishing the appellant again for succeeding in having her guilty plea and conviction quashed," the decision states.

The court also notes that Bouvette, who had a history of addiction, relapsed after being charged, lost custody of her children and was assaulted in jail due to being perceived as a "baby killer," which resulted in her being moved to segregation.

It also says "she has struggled with addiction issues, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, and physical and mental health challenges" since being released from custody.

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds propose national handgun freeze

Feds propose national handgun freeze
The measure does not ban handguns outright, allowing current owners to continue to possess and use them, but seeks to cap the number already in Canada.

Feds propose national handgun freeze

Charge pending for manure at B.C. premier's office

Charge pending for manure at B.C. premier's office
Corp. Alex Bérubé says the man attended the West Shore RCMP detachment on Monday and was released on an undertaking to appear in court Aug. 18. He says the man faces a criminal charge of mischief, however his name won't be released until the charge has been sworn in court.    

Charge pending for manure at B.C. premier's office

BC Ferries plans to expand the Coastal Cafe menu to include alcoholic beverages

BC Ferries plans to expand the Coastal Cafe menu to include alcoholic beverages
BC Ferries continually seeks ways to enhance and add value to our customers’ experience and offering alcoholic beverages in select Coastal Cafes is in response to customer feedback. It will be served in limited quantities by staff who have their Serving It Right certification. 

BC Ferries plans to expand the Coastal Cafe menu to include alcoholic beverages

Construction begins on redeveloped Burnaby Hospital

Construction begins on redeveloped Burnaby Hospital
The six-storey pavilion, the new surgery centre and renovations to existing buildings are scheduled to be complete in 2026. The second patient-care tower is expected to have 160 new beds and a state-of-the-art cancer treatment centre.

Construction begins on redeveloped Burnaby Hospital

B.C. investing more than $2.4 billion in Metro Vancouver transit improvements

B.C. investing more than $2.4 billion in Metro Vancouver transit improvements
B.C. is contributing more than $2.4 billion to advance key transit and infrastructure priorities, including the Surrey Langley Skytrain and electrification of the bus fleet, as part of its ongoing commitment to fund 40% of the Mayors’ Council 10-Year Vision.

B.C. investing more than $2.4 billion in Metro Vancouver transit improvements

Ottawa announces $247 million for apprenticeships

Ottawa announces $247 million for apprenticeships
In a news release, Qualtrough says that more than $45 million will go to the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum to help hire 4,000 first-year apprentices in the construction and manufacturing trades.

Ottawa announces $247 million for apprenticeships