Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Apr, 2023 03:11 PM
  • Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

VANCOUVER - An appeal court has quashed the conviction of a British Columbia woman in the drowning death of a toddler she was babysitting, saying the original outcome was "the product of a miscarriage of justice."

Tammy Bouvette was originally charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty in 2013 to the lesser charge of criminal negligence in the death of 19-month-old Iyanna Teeple in Cranbrook, B.C.

The toddler was found unconscious and not breathing in a bathtub on May 26, 2011, and was flown to a Calgary hospital, where she later died.

The B.C. Court of Appeal ruling issued Wednesday says police and/or the BC Prosecution Service failed to disclose to Bouvette's lawyers several items of key evidence.

The ruling notes that it did not find bad faith or malice on behalf of the Crown, but the non-disclosure meant Bouvette was "deprived (of) the opportunity to make an informed decision about how to plead."

The ruling orders a stay of proceedings, saying retrying her case would be "unjust" and an "abuse of process" as she had already served her whole sentence.

"She has already been punished for the offence of criminal negligence causing death. It would amount to punishing the appellant again for succeeding in having her guilty plea and conviction quashed," the decision states.

The court also notes that Bouvette, who had a history of addiction, relapsed after being charged, lost custody of her children and was assaulted in jail due to being perceived as a "baby killer," which resulted in her being moved to segregation.

It also says "she has struggled with addiction issues, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, and physical and mental health challenges" since being released from custody.

MORE National ARTICLES

17 likely monkeypox cases in Montreal: officials

17 likely monkeypox cases in Montreal: officials
On Wednesday, health officials in Massachusetts reported a monkeypox case in a man who had recently travelled to Canada. The man was in Montreal at the end of April to meet friends and returned in early May. Monkeypox typically begins with a flu-like illness and swelling of the lymph nodes, followed by a rash on the face and body.

17 likely monkeypox cases in Montreal: officials

Thousands on south coast in the dark after storm

Thousands on south coast in the dark after storm
Environment Canada says wind gusts of around 90 kilometres per hour were recorded off Victoria at the height of Wednesday's storm. BC Hydro reported about 121,000 customers lost power Wednesday and crews worked through the night, despite toppled trees that made access difficult in many areas.

Thousands on south coast in the dark after storm

B.C. legislature clerk guilty of fraud

B.C. legislature clerk guilty of fraud
Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes, of the B.C. Supreme Court, says Craig James dishonestly described clothing he purchased as work attire when he knew it was not.

B.C. legislature clerk guilty of fraud

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation
On March 10, 2022, one count of Sexual Assault was laid against 68-year-old, Brian Robert Walks and a warrant was issued for his arrest. He was arrested on March 13 and later released on court-imposed conditions which limit his access to persons under the age of 16 years.

Police seeking information for historical Sexual Assault investigation

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner
On May 3, 2022, 39-year-old, Giovanni Robert Cipparone, was charged with four counts of Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking in Property Obtained by Crime and four counts of Possession of Property Obtained by Crime. Giovanni has been served a summons to appear in court later this month.    

Trafficking stolen property charges laid against pawnshop owner

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash
An information charging Cst. Randhawa with one count of dangerous driving causing bodily harm contrary to section 320.13(2) of the Criminal Code was sworn on May 18, 2022, under Provincial Court file number 248979. The first appearance on this matter is scheduled for June 15, 2022, in Surrey Provincial Court.    

Transit police officer, Randeep Randhawa, charged with dangerous driving in Surrey crash