Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 12 Apr, 2023 03:11 PM
  • Babysitter's conviction in toddler's death quashed

VANCOUVER - An appeal court has quashed the conviction of a British Columbia woman in the drowning death of a toddler she was babysitting, saying the original outcome was "the product of a miscarriage of justice."

Tammy Bouvette was originally charged with second-degree murder but pleaded guilty in 2013 to the lesser charge of criminal negligence in the death of 19-month-old Iyanna Teeple in Cranbrook, B.C.

The toddler was found unconscious and not breathing in a bathtub on May 26, 2011, and was flown to a Calgary hospital, where she later died.

The B.C. Court of Appeal ruling issued Wednesday says police and/or the BC Prosecution Service failed to disclose to Bouvette's lawyers several items of key evidence.

The ruling notes that it did not find bad faith or malice on behalf of the Crown, but the non-disclosure meant Bouvette was "deprived (of) the opportunity to make an informed decision about how to plead."

The ruling orders a stay of proceedings, saying retrying her case would be "unjust" and an "abuse of process" as she had already served her whole sentence.

"She has already been punished for the offence of criminal negligence causing death. It would amount to punishing the appellant again for succeeding in having her guilty plea and conviction quashed," the decision states.

The court also notes that Bouvette, who had a history of addiction, relapsed after being charged, lost custody of her children and was assaulted in jail due to being perceived as a "baby killer," which resulted in her being moved to segregation.

It also says "she has struggled with addiction issues, homelessness, poverty, social isolation, and physical and mental health challenges" since being released from custody.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rare case of monkeypox in a man who recently traveled to Canada from US

Rare case of monkeypox in a man who recently traveled to Canada from US
U.S. health officials said they are in contact with officials in the U.K. and Canada as part of the investigation. The U.S. case poses no risk to the public, and the Massachusetts resident is hospitalized but in good condition, officials said.

Rare case of monkeypox in a man who recently traveled to Canada from US

Omicron tripled cases in Canadian adults: study

Omicron tripled cases in Canadian adults: study
More than 5,000 Canadian adults — members of the Angus Reid Forum, a public polling cohort — participated in the fourth phase of the Action to Beat Coronavirus (Ab-C) study. The findings of the study were published as a letter to the editor in The New England Journal of Medicine Wednesday.

Omicron tripled cases in Canadian adults: study

Liberals reject NDP call to hike GST rebate

Liberals reject NDP call to hike GST rebate
Singh wants Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to fund the benefit increases by redirecting a $2.6-billion tax credit promised in the recent budget to help companies build carbon capture and storage systems. 

Liberals reject NDP call to hike GST rebate

WATCH: Soul Counsel- a new way to leave a legacy behind

WATCH: Soul Counsel- a new way to leave a legacy behind
Find out about some of the services of Soul Counsel such as state planning, dispute resolution, succession planning, and much more with Founder and Chief Vibes Officer, Sukhminder Virk.    

WATCH: Soul Counsel- a new way to leave a legacy behind

Women being followed by a white van near Tamanawis Secondary according to social media post

Women being followed by a white van near Tamanawis Secondary according to social media post
The Surrey RCMP Special Victims Unit (SVU) was advised of the social media post and has reached out to the individual who posted it in order to seek more information. To date, SVU have not received any reported incidents of women being followed by men in a white van. 

Women being followed by a white van near Tamanawis Secondary according to social media post

Burnaby RCMP is looking to identify two suspects that were involved in two break-ins and mail theft incidents in March.

Burnaby RCMP is looking to identify two suspects that were involved in two break-ins and mail theft incidents in March.
On March 21, 2022 at approximately 2:30 p.m., two suspects broke into two residential complexes in the 7200-block of Collier Street and proceeded to pry the main panel of the mailboxes open and steal all the mail.

Burnaby RCMP is looking to identify two suspects that were involved in two break-ins and mail theft incidents in March.