Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. adds funds to online business grant program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Mar, 2021 09:58 PM
  • B.C. adds funds to online business grant program

The B.C. government says it's adding $30 million to its program aimed at helping businesses build or expand their online operations during the COVID-19 pandemic in response to high demand for the grant money.

The province committed $12 million last month to launch its online grant program, which was set to provide 1,500 businesses with up to $7,500.

Premier John Horgan says more than 3,500 businesses have applied so far, exhausting the initial fund.

The province says the additional money will help about 4,000 more businesses.

Horgan says the grants will help businesses adapt to the way the pandemic has pushed more customers to shop online, while the program has also been expanded to include businesses that sell services in addition to goods, benefiting the tourism sector and those with online booking systems.

B.C. says 30 per cent of the funds will be reserved for businesses whose owners are Black, Indigenous and people of colour, which is up from the 25 per cent that was previously set aside for Indigenous and rural businesses.

The province says in a news release that successful applicants will work with local service providers to complete their online store, meaning the grants help support marketing and technology companies in the province.

"More B.C. small businesses from the hardest hit sectors will have access to the tools they need to boost their online presence, grow their e-commerce capacity and become more resilient," Horgan said in a statement on Wednesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast
Environment Canada had been calling for as much as 15 centimetres in some south coast regions by Monday morning.

Heavy snow misses most of B.C.'s south coast

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday
There are two new health-care facility outbreaks at Royal Inland Hospital and Royal Columbian Hospital. The outbreak at Queen’s Park Care Centre is now over. 

BC announces 9 deaths for Friday

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau
The federal government is looking at options that would make it harder for people to return from foreign trips.

Ottawa mulls mandatory hotel quarantine: Trudeau

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud
The unproven civil claim named Sanjay Madan, who had a senior IT role and helped develop the computer application for applying and approving the benefit for families with children.

Ontario recovers $11M in alleged COVID fraud

Shots fired in Langley

Shots fired in Langley
The victim is known to police and has been cooperative with the investigation. The shooting is believed to be targeted and the investigation is ongoing.

Shots fired in Langley

B.C. to release report on COVID-19 response

B.C. to release report on COVID-19 response
Adrian Dix says the Health Ministry commissioned the report by Ernst & Young to learn lessons from the first wave of the pandemic.

B.C. to release report on COVID-19 response