Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. boosts tax credit for developers of video games, virtual reality simulators

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:01 AM
  • B.C. boosts tax credit for developers of video games, virtual reality simulators

The British Columbia government is boosting a tax credit to help developers of video games such as Electronic Arts hire additional staff and invest money locally. 

Premier David Eby said the interactive visual media tax credit will go from 17.5 per cent to 25 per cent starting Sept. 1, which is also when the credit will become permanent to give industry additional certainty.

Speaking at Electronic Arts in Burnaby on Monday, Eby said the changes will help the sector remain competitive as part of a larger economic response to American tariff threats, which was a "wake-up call" for the province to develop an economy that can stand on its "own two feet."

Finance Minister Brenda Bailey said the measures will help B.C. grow its "knowledge economy." 

Bailey said they could have raised the tax credit higher as other provinces have, but chose 25 per cent because B.C. already has a competitive tax system and other factors that attract global talent. 

Government agency Creative BC says the interactive digital media sector, which includes video games, virtual reality and educational software, employs about 20,000 people in the province and adds more than a $1 billion to the economy. 

Government figures show the tax credit program is expected to cost $141 million in 2025-26, $151.3 million in the second year and $180.3 million in year three. 2027-28. 

Natali Altshuler, chief operating officer for EA SPORTS Studios, welcomed the changes. 

Altshuler said the change recognize the value of the industry, adding that it enables companies such as EA to contribute to the provincial economy.

While EA ranks among the giants in the video-game industry, smaller developers are also welcoming the higher tax credit. 

Heidy Motta, the chief operating officer at game studio Coldblood Inc., said in a government news release that increasing the credit to 25 per cent "makes a real difference for indie studios like ours."

The Entertainment Software Association of Canada says B.C. is home to 161 video game companies and 230 immersive technology companies. 

It says almost half of all video game companies in B.C. consist of 10 or fewer people. 

The additional support from the provincial government also raises the question of possible reactions from the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump, who has previously criticized public support for industries from Canadian governments that he perceives to be unfair.

Trump threatened earlier this year a 100 per cent tariffs on foreign-made movies to help bring more productions back to the United States after B.C. announced higher credits in late 2024 to attract and keep more film productions in the province. 

Eby said B.C. made the decision to boost the credit for interactive digital media independently of any possible reactions. 

"We will cross the bridge's reactions when and if they happen," Eby said. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

MORE National ARTICLES

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast
The weather office says another 25 cm of snow is expected between this evening and Thursday night. Environment Canada has also issued a snowfall warning for the northern and central Interior region of British Columbia, saying 15 cm of snow is expected. 

Storm expected to bring up to 50 cm of snow to B.C.'s north coast

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal
A Federal Court judge has dismissed an appeal by a "deeply religious" British Columbia health executive who said he was wrongfully denied employment insurance after being fired three years ago for refusing to get the COVID-19 vaccine. Darold Sturgeon was fired as executive director of medical affairs for Interior Health in November 2021 after refusing to get the vaccine based on his Christian beliefs. 

B.C. health executive fired for refusing COVID-19 vaccine loses EI appeal

Paul Bernardo denied parole after victims' families plead he be kept behind bars

Paul Bernardo denied parole after victims' families plead he be kept behind bars
Notorious killer Paul Bernardo has been denied parole for a third time following a hearing before the Parole Board of Canada. \ The parole board noted that while Bernardo has made some progress during incarceration, there is still significant concern about his risk of sexual recidivism and his narcissistic personality disorder, given the "extremely violent" nature of his crimes. 

Paul Bernardo denied parole after victims' families plead he be kept behind bars

Investigation into B.C. teen with bird flu finds no new cases, cause still unknown

Investigation into B.C. teen with bird flu finds no new cases, cause still unknown
An investigation into the case of a teenager infected with avian flu in British Columbia has found no new cases or evidence of human-to-human transmission, while failing to identify how the teen caught the virus, the province's top doctor said. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said the teen remains in critical condition with H5N1 bird flu but is stable and has made "some progress" toward recovery.

Investigation into B.C. teen with bird flu finds no new cases, cause still unknown

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer
The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force. It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff
Eby says the premiers will meet Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this week to discuss "our strategic approach" to Trump's plan to impose the tariff immediately after his inauguration on Jan. 20, unless action is taken to stem the flow of migrants and illegal drugs over the border. Eby made the comments at the annual convention of the B.C. Federation of Labour.

B.C. Premier Eby says Canada will negotiate from 'position of strength' on US tariff