Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police
Hopley, 58, is wanted on a Canada-wide warrant and has a history of convictions for assault, property offences and sexual crimes that include three offences against children. He was declared a long-term offender and handed a six-year prison term for the 2011 abduction of a three-year-old boy from his home in Sparwood in southeastern British Columbia.  

Sex offender Randall Hopley removed his ankle bracelet to avoid court date: police

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029
The latest announcement, which also comes as Liberals face a major dip in the polls, puts the government on track to build about 29,200 homes on public lands by 2029. Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos also said on Tuesday the Canada Lands Corp. is setting a new target to include at least 20 per cent affordable housing across its projects.  

Feds unlock public properties to build homes, say 29,200 units to be built by 2029

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa
A first group of 20-25 Canadians looking to flee Gaza was able to leave on Tuesday, Global Affairs Canada has confirmed, as the government works to evacuate the rest of its citizens from the besieged Palestinian enclave.  Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly had confirmed earlier in the day that some Canadians had successfully departed. 

Group of 20-25 Canadians reaches Egypt, up to 80 could leave Gaza Tuesday: Ottawa

Body found in Surrey

Body found in Surrey
Surrey R-C-M-P say they were called to a residence in the 161-hundred block of 110 Avenue on Sunday. Officers found the deceased victim upon arrival and arrested one person, who has since been released.

Body found in Surrey

Immigration agent denies issuing fake admission letters to Indian students in Canada

Immigration agent denies issuing fake admission letters to Indian students in Canada
An immigration agent, accused of cheating several Indian students of tens of thousands of dollars by issuing fake college admission letters to procure study permits to Canada, has denied charges against him. Brijesh Mishra, who has been under arrest in a British Columbia jail since June, said he has been scapegoated by dozens of international students from India, the Toronto Star reported.  

Immigration agent denies issuing fake admission letters to Indian students in Canada

DST ends this weekend, as clocks fall back on Sunday

DST ends this weekend, as clocks fall back on Sunday
This is the weekend most of the country goes back to standard time, and people wrestle with changing the clocks on their microwaves, cars and ovens. Happily, a lot of devices re-set themselves -- making it easier to know what time it really is when you wake up on Sunday morning.

DST ends this weekend, as clocks fall back on Sunday