Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2024 09:38 AM
  • B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage.

A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

The line serves communities between Vancouver and Mission, about 67 kilometres to the east, with stops in the Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows and Coquitlam areas.

Bargaining between railworkers and Canadian National Railway and Canadian Pacific Kansas City was set to resume this morning after breaking off shortly before a midnight deadline that left the workers locked out by their employers.

TransLink says there is supplemental bus service during the stoppage.

In a statement, TransLink says the bus service went well during the morning commute, although they don't have figures about how many people used it. 

It says more than 3,000 customers take the West Coast Express each weekday.

The nationwide impasse affects upwards of 32,000 commuters in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, whose lines run on CPKC-owned tracks.

Passenger trains cannot roll along those rails without the locked-out traffic controllers to dispatch them.

The president of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade, Bridgitte Anderson, says thousands of workers who rely on the West Coast Express have been forced to find alternative transportation, adding to congestion across the region.

Fiona Famulak, president of BC Chamber of Commerce, similarly says the group is "extremely disappointed" that the parties haven't been able to reach a deal.

She says a prolonged stoppage is "untenable," and would further damage B.C.'s reputation as a reliable trading partner after job action at western ports last year.

Public transit advocates in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto issued a joint statement saying the stoppage shows rail users are "at the mercy of freight transportation" in Canada.

The statement from Trajectoire Québec, TTCriders and Movement: Metro Vancouver Transit Riders says public transit users are paying for a situation out of their control.

It says the stoppage will encourage more transit riders to use cars to get to work and affect public confidence in the reliability of commuter trains, which they describe as "fragile."

"This situation is unacceptable in the context of growing congestion and a climate crisis," the statement says.

Blair Qualey, president and CEO of the New Car Dealers Association of BC, said his group was joining other business associations across Canada to call on the federal government to step in to restart rail services that he said were "vital."

Otherwise, they would struggle to keep their doors open amid the “very challenging situation.” 

Qualey said in a statement that car dealers were already dealing with tight inventory and the rail stoppage would “turn the tap off.”

"Previous disputes have had a significant impact on dealers and consumers, and we simply cannot afford a repeat," said Qualey. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Elementary school in Surrey set to reopen after fire

Elementary school in Surrey set to reopen after fire
An elementary school in the Metro Vancouver municipality of Surrey is set to reopen the day after an early-morning fire caused damage to an annex building. A message posted on the website of Cloverdale Traditional says the fire department and staff from the school district assessed the whole school and determined it could reopen and classes could resume on Friday.

Elementary school in Surrey set to reopen after fire

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD
Police have released new surveillance video of an alleged suspect in an unsolved murder in East Vancouver last year.  They say 37-year-old Zhuowen Gong was fatally stabbed while walking near Renfrew and Graveley streets around 9:45 p-m on November 2nd last year, and police say the motive behind the attack is still unknown.

Surveillance video of an alleged suspect in unsolved murder released: VPD

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening
One of three magic mushroom stores that were raided by Vancouver police this week has already reopened, and the owner says his other two are restocking and will be back in business on Friday. The Vancouver Police Department says it executed search warrants at the stores on Wednesday in an investigation into the sale of illegal psychedelic drugs, with officers seizing "a variety of controlled substances."

Vancouver magic mushroom stores raided by police are reopening

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP
R-C-M-P in Surrey say a 34-year-old man has been charged with multiple offences after an investigation that began with a traffic stop last week. The Mounties say two men were arrested after an officer from New Westminster stopped a vehicle that had been driving erratically just after 2 a-m last Thursday.

34 year old charged with numerous firearms charges: Surrey RCMP

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses
Vancouver police are looking for witnesses to a serious collision on the city's west side that sent a pedestrian to hospital with life-altering injuries. Police say a 57-year-old woman was at the crosswalk of Arbutus Street and West 33rd Avenue Tuesday afternoon when she was struck by a red Mini Cooper.   

Pedestrian struck in Vancouver in serious collision, VPD seeking witnesses

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review
A lawyer for an Alberta man found not criminally responsible for killing five young people at a Calgary house party is asking the province's review board to release him on an absolute discharge. A hearing has heard that Matthew de Grood had several two-week unescorted passes from an Edmonton group home over the last year to visit his parents in Calgary.

Calgary man found not criminally responsible for five stabbing deaths faces review