Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Company Awarded $230-Million Shipbuilding Contract

The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2017 12:01 PM
    VANCOUVER — A Vancouver-area shipyard has been handed a $230-million contract to help create the latest vessel in the federal government's national shipbuilding plan.
     
    The agreement will see shipbuilding company Seaspan develop and finalize plans to build two joint supply ships for the Royal Canadian Navy, with construction of the vessels expected to begin next year.
     
    Judy Foote, minister of procurement and public services, announced the contract in North Vancouver on Tuesday, saying the deal will help create stable middle-class jobs.
     
    Defence Minister Harjit Saajan says the ships will increase the "range, flexibility and duration" of Canada's navy by resupplying vessels at sea with fuel, food, ammunition and more.
     
    The previous Conservative government originally launched the national shipbuilding strategy in 2010, budgeting $35 billion to rebuild the navy and coast guard fleets while also creating a sustainable shipbuilding industry on both the east and west coasts.
     
     
    Foote declined comment Tuesday on the program's total cost, saying the number won't be known until all of the vessels have been built and that she doesn't want to give out preliminary numbers.
     
    "From the perspective of the government, what we need to do when we give out numbers is make sure that they're real numbers. Because that's what we're contending with as a result of what happened previously," she said.
     
    "The numbers that were put forward were unrealistic numbers that we had to contend with."
     
    Seaspan is building three coast guard ships in Vancouver under the national plan. Foote said those vessels will be used to research fish stocks and monitor changes in the ecosystem, but will also be equipped to respond to emergencies like search-and-rescue operations.
     
    The first of the three ships is expected to be delivered by the end of 2017, while the other two are scheduled to be completed next year.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Sketch Released Of Suspect Sought By Surrey RCMP In Suspicious Van Incident

    Sketch Released Of Suspect Sought By Surrey RCMP In Suspicious Van Incident
    Surrey RCMP have released a composite sketch of a man in a maroon-coloured van, which they believe is involved in in two suspicious incidents involving women in Surrey.

    Sketch Released Of Suspect Sought By Surrey RCMP In Suspicious Van Incident

    B.C. Man Uses A Knife To Puncture One Of The Vehicle's Tires And Stabs Himself

    B.C. Man Uses A Knife To Puncture One Of The Vehicle's Tires And Stabs Himself
    Saanich police say a 37-year-old man from Esquimalt, B.C., was parked at an arena and returned to find a vehicle parked close to his.

    B.C. Man Uses A Knife To Puncture One Of The Vehicle's Tires And Stabs Himself

    Quebec Man Gets 15 Years For Incest, Sex Assault Against Daughters

    Quebec Man Gets 15 Years For Incest, Sex Assault Against Daughters
    Jacques Roger Lesage, 79, was found guilty by a jury one week ago on four of six charges, which included incest, sexual assault and indecent assault.

    Quebec Man Gets 15 Years For Incest, Sex Assault Against Daughters

    B.C. Councillor Resigns After Suing Daughter For Going Public About Alleged Sex Abuse

    B.C. Councillor Resigns After Suing Daughter For Going Public About Alleged Sex Abuse
    Mayor Karl Buhr of Lions Bay confirmed in a statement posted on the village website on Thursday that he had accepted Eileen Wilke's resignation.

    B.C. Councillor Resigns After Suing Daughter For Going Public About Alleged Sex Abuse

    B.C.'s Environment Minister Suspends Permit For Soil Dumping Near Shawnigan Lake

    B.C.'s Environment Minister Suspends Permit For Soil Dumping Near Shawnigan Lake
    VICTORIA — B.C.'s environment ministry is threatening to revoke a permit for the company operating a controversial dumping site for contaminated soil on Vancouver Island.

    B.C.'s Environment Minister Suspends Permit For Soil Dumping Near Shawnigan Lake

    Highway Of Tears Bus Starts Rolling On 30-minute Trips In B.C.'s Northwest

    Highway Of Tears Bus Starts Rolling On 30-minute Trips In B.C.'s Northwest
    The service that starts Monday is along a small section of Highway 16, the route that stretches between Prince George and Prince Rupert where 18 women have disappeared or been murdered since the 1970s.

    Highway Of Tears Bus Starts Rolling On 30-minute Trips In B.C.'s Northwest