Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Company Awarded $230-Million Shipbuilding Contract

The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2017 12:01 PM
    VANCOUVER — A Vancouver-area shipyard has been handed a $230-million contract to help create the latest vessel in the federal government's national shipbuilding plan.
     
    The agreement will see shipbuilding company Seaspan develop and finalize plans to build two joint supply ships for the Royal Canadian Navy, with construction of the vessels expected to begin next year.
     
    Judy Foote, minister of procurement and public services, announced the contract in North Vancouver on Tuesday, saying the deal will help create stable middle-class jobs.
     
    Defence Minister Harjit Saajan says the ships will increase the "range, flexibility and duration" of Canada's navy by resupplying vessels at sea with fuel, food, ammunition and more.
     
    The previous Conservative government originally launched the national shipbuilding strategy in 2010, budgeting $35 billion to rebuild the navy and coast guard fleets while also creating a sustainable shipbuilding industry on both the east and west coasts.
     
     
    Foote declined comment Tuesday on the program's total cost, saying the number won't be known until all of the vessels have been built and that she doesn't want to give out preliminary numbers.
     
    "From the perspective of the government, what we need to do when we give out numbers is make sure that they're real numbers. Because that's what we're contending with as a result of what happened previously," she said.
     
    "The numbers that were put forward were unrealistic numbers that we had to contend with."
     
    Seaspan is building three coast guard ships in Vancouver under the national plan. Foote said those vessels will be used to research fish stocks and monitor changes in the ecosystem, but will also be equipped to respond to emergencies like search-and-rescue operations.
     
    The first of the three ships is expected to be delivered by the end of 2017, while the other two are scheduled to be completed next year.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    2 Canadian Universities Pull Ads From Alt-Right News Outlet Breitbart In United States

    2 Canadian Universities Pull Ads From Alt-Right News Outlet Breitbart In United States
    Two Canadian universities are among the organizations that have removed advertisements from an ultra-conservative news website formerly headed by a top adviser to U.S. President Donald Trump.

    2 Canadian Universities Pull Ads From Alt-Right News Outlet Breitbart In United States

    Attempted Murder Charge Laid Against 94-Year-Old In Ontario

    Attempted Murder Charge Laid Against 94-Year-Old In Ontario
    Hamilton police say they were called to a home in Carlisle, Ont. on Wednesday evening.

    Attempted Murder Charge Laid Against 94-Year-Old In Ontario

    Canadian In U.S. Jailed For 4 Years Over 'Pump And Dump' Penny Stock Fraud

    Canadian In U.S. Jailed For 4 Years Over 'Pump And Dump' Penny Stock Fraud
    TORONTO — A Canadian man has been sentenced to four years in prison in the United States for running an international money-laundering scheme out of Costa Rica.

    Canadian In U.S. Jailed For 4 Years Over 'Pump And Dump' Penny Stock Fraud

    Saskatchewan Rural And Remote Health Minister Diagnosed With Cancer

    Saskatchewan Rural And Remote Health Minister Diagnosed With Cancer
    REGINA — Saskatchewan's rural and remote health minister says he has been diagnosed with cancer.

    Saskatchewan Rural And Remote Health Minister Diagnosed With Cancer

    Ontario Nursing Home At Centre Of Murder Probe Ordered To Stop New Admissions

    Ontario Nursing Home At Centre Of Murder Probe Ordered To Stop New Admissions
    An Ontario long-term care home where a former nurse is accused of killing seven seniors has been ordered by the province to temporarily stop admitting new patients.

    Ontario Nursing Home At Centre Of Murder Probe Ordered To Stop New Admissions

    Sundance Doc Profiles Canadian Transgender YouTube Star Gigi Gorgeous

    Sundance Doc Profiles Canadian Transgender YouTube Star Gigi Gorgeous
    PARK CITY, Utah — Canadian transgender YouTube star Gigi Lazzarato has been extremely candid in sharing the story of her male-to-female transition with her millions of subscribers.

    Sundance Doc Profiles Canadian Transgender YouTube Star Gigi Gorgeous