Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Company Awarded $230-Million Shipbuilding Contract

The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2017 12:01 PM
    VANCOUVER — A Vancouver-area shipyard has been handed a $230-million contract to help create the latest vessel in the federal government's national shipbuilding plan.
     
    The agreement will see shipbuilding company Seaspan develop and finalize plans to build two joint supply ships for the Royal Canadian Navy, with construction of the vessels expected to begin next year.
     
    Judy Foote, minister of procurement and public services, announced the contract in North Vancouver on Tuesday, saying the deal will help create stable middle-class jobs.
     
    Defence Minister Harjit Saajan says the ships will increase the "range, flexibility and duration" of Canada's navy by resupplying vessels at sea with fuel, food, ammunition and more.
     
    The previous Conservative government originally launched the national shipbuilding strategy in 2010, budgeting $35 billion to rebuild the navy and coast guard fleets while also creating a sustainable shipbuilding industry on both the east and west coasts.
     
     
    Foote declined comment Tuesday on the program's total cost, saying the number won't be known until all of the vessels have been built and that she doesn't want to give out preliminary numbers.
     
    "From the perspective of the government, what we need to do when we give out numbers is make sure that they're real numbers. Because that's what we're contending with as a result of what happened previously," she said.
     
    "The numbers that were put forward were unrealistic numbers that we had to contend with."
     
    Seaspan is building three coast guard ships in Vancouver under the national plan. Foote said those vessels will be used to research fish stocks and monitor changes in the ecosystem, but will also be equipped to respond to emergencies like search-and-rescue operations.
     
    The first of the three ships is expected to be delivered by the end of 2017, while the other two are scheduled to be completed next year.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    $400m Fund, Tax Changes, Local News Service Urged To Help Restore Canada's Media

    $400m Fund, Tax Changes, Local News Service Urged To Help Restore Canada's Media
    OTTAWA — A major new report is calling for dramatic changes to help shore up Canada's news industry as it faces a massive decline in revenues and a growing "fake news" problem.

    $400m Fund, Tax Changes, Local News Service Urged To Help Restore Canada's Media

    Jury Says Three Of Four Accused Human Smugglers Not Guilty

    Jury Says Three Of Four Accused Human Smugglers Not Guilty
    Justice William Ehrcke declared a mistrial for the fourth man after the jury told the court Wednesday it couldn't reach a verdict in the case of Kunarobinson Christhurajah.

    Jury Says Three Of Four Accused Human Smugglers Not Guilty

    Fourth Extension Given To Investigation Of Suspended Victoria Police Chief

    Fourth Extension Given To Investigation Of Suspended Victoria Police Chief
    VICTORIA — An investigation into Victoria's suspended police chief has been granted a fourth extension by British Columbia's police complaint commissioner.

    Fourth Extension Given To Investigation Of Suspended Victoria Police Chief

    Client Says Many Would Be Dead Without Medical Heroin At Vancouver Clinic

    Client Says Many Would Be Dead Without Medical Heroin At Vancouver Clinic
    VANCOUVER — The smell of rubbing alcohol permeates a tiny room where chronic heroin users inject a pharmaceutical-grade version of the drug three times a day to just feel normal.

    Client Says Many Would Be Dead Without Medical Heroin At Vancouver Clinic

    Vancouver Chef Siddharth Choudhary On 'Mission Report Card' For India's Assembly Polls

    Vancouver Chef Siddharth Choudhary On 'Mission Report Card' For India's Assembly Polls
    Vancouver-based NRI and chef Siddharth Choudhary is joining the poll fray with the idea of preparing report cards of elected leaders. 

    Vancouver Chef Siddharth Choudhary On 'Mission Report Card' For India's Assembly Polls

    15-Year-Old Charged After Toronto School Stabbing: Police

    Toronto police have charged a 15-year-old boy after a 17-year-old boy was stabbed at a school in the city.

    15-Year-Old Charged After Toronto School Stabbing: Police