Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Company Awarded $230-Million Shipbuilding Contract

The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2017 12:01 PM
    VANCOUVER — A Vancouver-area shipyard has been handed a $230-million contract to help create the latest vessel in the federal government's national shipbuilding plan.
     
    The agreement will see shipbuilding company Seaspan develop and finalize plans to build two joint supply ships for the Royal Canadian Navy, with construction of the vessels expected to begin next year.
     
    Judy Foote, minister of procurement and public services, announced the contract in North Vancouver on Tuesday, saying the deal will help create stable middle-class jobs.
     
    Defence Minister Harjit Saajan says the ships will increase the "range, flexibility and duration" of Canada's navy by resupplying vessels at sea with fuel, food, ammunition and more.
     
    The previous Conservative government originally launched the national shipbuilding strategy in 2010, budgeting $35 billion to rebuild the navy and coast guard fleets while also creating a sustainable shipbuilding industry on both the east and west coasts.
     
     
    Foote declined comment Tuesday on the program's total cost, saying the number won't be known until all of the vessels have been built and that she doesn't want to give out preliminary numbers.
     
    "From the perspective of the government, what we need to do when we give out numbers is make sure that they're real numbers. Because that's what we're contending with as a result of what happened previously," she said.
     
    "The numbers that were put forward were unrealistic numbers that we had to contend with."
     
    Seaspan is building three coast guard ships in Vancouver under the national plan. Foote said those vessels will be used to research fish stocks and monitor changes in the ecosystem, but will also be equipped to respond to emergencies like search-and-rescue operations.
     
    The first of the three ships is expected to be delivered by the end of 2017, while the other two are scheduled to be completed next year.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Cheers, Jeers For Prime Minister Justin Trudeau At Calgary Town Hall

    Cheers, Jeers For Prime Minister Justin Trudeau At Calgary Town Hall
    CALGARY — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau launched an impassioned defence for balancing the environment and economy at a raucous town hall in the heart of oil country Tuesday.

    Cheers, Jeers For Prime Minister Justin Trudeau At Calgary Town Hall

    Rain, Wind Gusts, Freezing Rain Make Messy Mix In Maritimes; Moving Into N.L.

    Rain, Wind Gusts, Freezing Rain Make Messy Mix In Maritimes; Moving Into N.L.
    New Brunswick Power reported more than 91,000 customers had lost power as of 6 a.m. local time, while 12,000 customers in Nova Scotia were also without electricity.

    Rain, Wind Gusts, Freezing Rain Make Messy Mix In Maritimes; Moving Into N.L.

    Health Canada Seizes 'Health Products' From Toronto Adult Shop

    Health Canada Seizes 'Health Products' From Toronto Adult Shop
    OTTAWA — Health Canada says it has seized unauthorized health products from a Toronto adult shop.

    Health Canada Seizes 'Health Products' From Toronto Adult Shop

    Toronto Doctors Remove Dying Woman's Diseased Lungs To Buy Time For Transplant

    Toronto Doctors Remove Dying Woman's Diseased Lungs To Buy Time For Transplant
    TORONTO — In what's believed to be a world first, Canadian doctors say they were able to save a young mother's life with a radical procedure — they removed her lungs.

    Toronto Doctors Remove Dying Woman's Diseased Lungs To Buy Time For Transplant

    Acclaimed Actor, Director And Playwright Joy Coghill-thorne Dead At 90

    Acclaimed Actor, Director And Playwright Joy Coghill-thorne Dead At 90
    VANCOUVER — Acclaimed Canadian actor, director and playwright Joy Coghill-Thorne has died at age 90.

    Acclaimed Actor, Director And Playwright Joy Coghill-thorne Dead At 90

    Abbotsford Double Shooting Ends In Car Crash: Two Men Arrive At Hospital With Gunshot Wounds

    Abbotsford Double Shooting Ends In Car Crash: Two Men Arrive At Hospital With Gunshot Wounds
    Two men later arrived at hospital with gunshot wounds after being helped by a Good Samaritan.

    Abbotsford Double Shooting Ends In Car Crash: Two Men Arrive At Hospital With Gunshot Wounds