Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. Company Awarded $230-Million Shipbuilding Contract

The Canadian Press, 01 Mar, 2017 12:01 PM
    VANCOUVER — A Vancouver-area shipyard has been handed a $230-million contract to help create the latest vessel in the federal government's national shipbuilding plan.
     
    The agreement will see shipbuilding company Seaspan develop and finalize plans to build two joint supply ships for the Royal Canadian Navy, with construction of the vessels expected to begin next year.
     
    Judy Foote, minister of procurement and public services, announced the contract in North Vancouver on Tuesday, saying the deal will help create stable middle-class jobs.
     
    Defence Minister Harjit Saajan says the ships will increase the "range, flexibility and duration" of Canada's navy by resupplying vessels at sea with fuel, food, ammunition and more.
     
    The previous Conservative government originally launched the national shipbuilding strategy in 2010, budgeting $35 billion to rebuild the navy and coast guard fleets while also creating a sustainable shipbuilding industry on both the east and west coasts.
     
     
    Foote declined comment Tuesday on the program's total cost, saying the number won't be known until all of the vessels have been built and that she doesn't want to give out preliminary numbers.
     
    "From the perspective of the government, what we need to do when we give out numbers is make sure that they're real numbers. Because that's what we're contending with as a result of what happened previously," she said.
     
    "The numbers that were put forward were unrealistic numbers that we had to contend with."
     
    Seaspan is building three coast guard ships in Vancouver under the national plan. Foote said those vessels will be used to research fish stocks and monitor changes in the ecosystem, but will also be equipped to respond to emergencies like search-and-rescue operations.
     
    The first of the three ships is expected to be delivered by the end of 2017, while the other two are scheduled to be completed next year.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Vancouver Park Board Asks For Options Before Deciding On Cetacean Plebiscite

    Vancouver Park Board Asks For Options Before Deciding On Cetacean Plebiscite
     The Vancouver Park Board has delayed a decision about a possible plebiscite regarding whale and dolphin captivity at the Vancouver Aquarium.

    Vancouver Park Board Asks For Options Before Deciding On Cetacean Plebiscite

    One-Handed Surrey Marksman Doesn't Let Disability Prevent Him From Reaching His Target

    One-Handed Surrey Marksman Doesn't Let Disability Prevent Him From Reaching His Target
      Graeme Foote, who was born without most of his right hand, is a rising talent in precision-rifle shooting.

    One-Handed Surrey Marksman Doesn't Let Disability Prevent Him From Reaching His Target

    Crash In Thailand Kills Vancouver Woman, Seriously Injures Her Friend

    Crash In Thailand Kills Vancouver Woman, Seriously Injures Her Friend
     A 22-year-old Vancouver woman has been killed and her friend has been injured in a crash in Thailand.

    Crash In Thailand Kills Vancouver Woman, Seriously Injures Her Friend

    New Westminster, B.C. Girl Subject Of Amber Alert In Washington State Found By Police

    New Westminster, B.C. Girl Subject Of Amber Alert In Washington State Found By Police
    Police in New Westminster, B.C., say the girl had a custody visit with her mother on Sunday before they received reports that she went missing.

    New Westminster, B.C. Girl Subject Of Amber Alert In Washington State Found By Police

    Nikki Haley Gets Preliminary Approval For Cabinet-Level Post

    Nikki Haley Gets Preliminary Approval For Cabinet-Level Post
    Nikki Haley got the unanimous approval of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, clearing the first stage for becoming the first Indian American to be appointed to a cabinet-level post.

    Nikki Haley Gets Preliminary Approval For Cabinet-Level Post

    Victim Killed In Targeted Monday Night Shooting In Surrey, B.C.

    Victim Killed In Targeted Monday Night Shooting In Surrey, B.C.
    RCMP in Surrey, B.C., say the latest shooting in that city has killed one person and the attack is believed to be targeted.

    Victim Killed In Targeted Monday Night Shooting In Surrey, B.C.