Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. continues recovery from flooding, landslides

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Nov, 2021 12:00 PM
  • B.C. continues recovery from flooding, landslides

The B.C. government is considering whether to declare a provincewide state of emergency following historic rainfall, flooding and landslides that have forced thousands of people from their homes.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says supplies of food, cots and blankets are being delivered to the town of Hope, which is helping nearly 1,100 people.

On Tuesday, RCMP recovered the body of a woman from a landslide across Highway 99 near Lillooet.

Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says the total number of people and vehicles unaccounted for has not been confirmed but investigators say two people are missing.

A search for anyone who may have been buried by two slides is also underway in the Highway 7 area near Agassiz after about 300 people spent the night in their vehicles and were helicoptered to safety on Monday.

Multiple roadways have been closed because of flooding, landslides or washed-out bridges, including sections of Highway 1, Highway 3, Highway 5, Highway 11, Highway 91 and Highway 99.

Late Tuesday, the City of Abbotsford issued an urgent plea for people living in a low-lying area called Sumas Prairie to evacuate immediately to avoid a potential catastrophe.

Abbotsford Mayor Henry Braun said if the Barrowtown Pump Station fails, water will rise very quickly, posing a significant risk to life.

"If you are still on Sumas Prairie, you need to leave. Get out of the area. I know it's hard for farmers to leave their livestock. But people's lives are more important to me right now than livestock and chickens," Braun said during a news conference. "This is imminent."

In a statement late Tuesday, Farnsworth said the provincial government is supporting Abbotsford with any resources it needs, noting the failure of the pump station is "anticipated to be catastrophic." He also said he has been in contact with Minister of Emergency Preparedness Bill Blair to request federal assistance in Abbotsford and the flooding situation in general, including Canadian Armed Forces ground and air support.

The City of Merritt says it will likely be more than a week before its 7,000 residents can return home after the entire community was evacuated when the water treatment facility was put out of commission by flooding.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail
As the federal election campaign entered its second full week, the Liberals painted themselves as the trusted guardians of universal health care and the New Democrats promised to be true environmental stewards by ending fossil fuel subsidies.

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti
Approximately 400 people were aboard the ship when they were not allowed to enter Canada. The City of Vancouver issued a statement, that it was "saddened" to learn the memorial had been defaced, noting workers will be sent to remove the paint.

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.
More than 60 evacuation orders are in place across British Columbia, and there are nearly 120 evacuation alerts, which means people should be ready to leave within minutes.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Friday that B.C. may not be able to move to the next step in its COVID-19 restart plan as quickly as expected.

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children
Richmond RCMP Mobile Enforcement Team subsequently arrested and held the man in-custody for allegedly breaching his order of prohibition in relation to children. Edward Gary Bolderson has been charged with 1 count of fail to comply with prohibitions regarding children, contrary to Section 161(4) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton
 A male was located suffering from serious, life threatening injuries and was transported to local hospital.  Two individuals are currently in custody.  

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton