Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. crews brace for extreme fire behaviour when winds from cold front hit northeast

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2025 01:40 PM
  • B.C. crews brace for extreme fire behaviour when winds from cold front hit northeast

The BC Wildfire Service says crews are preparing for "extreme fire behaviour" in the province's northeastern region as a second dry cold front is forecast to move through.

The service says wind gusts up to 80km/hr are expected in some areas, which could fan the flames and cause growth in the region that is the focus of the province's fire fight.

It will be the second cold front that has passed through the Fort Nelson area, with the first that moved through on Sunday causing increased fire behaviour.

The warning comes after the Pocket Knife Creek wildfire formed over the weekend, quickly growing into a wildfire of note, one of three in B.C.'s northeast that have prompted a series of evacuation orders.

That blaze is the result of two fires merging, and the service is now reporting that it spans more than 610 square kilometres.

The wildfire service is warning drivers that Highway 97 will remain closed north of Fort Nelson until this evening due to the Summit Lake Fire, another fire of note.

It is currently about 106 square kilometres in size and the service says the incoming cold front will bring conditions that may cause it to spread further. 

The Kiskatinaw River is the third fire of note in the province, listed at about 130 square kilometres in size. 

There are currently more than 80 fires burning across the province, with more than half listed as burning out of control.

The fires have prompted Environment Canada to issue a special air quality statement for the northeastern region, saying smoke is causing poor air quality and reduced visibility.

That statement, which covers Fort Nelson and the Peace River area, says conditions are expected to persist for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Picture Courtesy:  THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO, B.C. Wildfire Service

MORE National ARTICLES

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

9-year-old girl dies in car crash
On Friday Calgary Police laid nearly a dozen charges on 30-year-old Duane Arlen John Nepoose, including dangerous driving causing death, three counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm and fleeing from police.

9-year-old girl dies in car crash

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls
British Columbia's emergency call service has released its annual list of the most unusual and inappropriate 911 calls, including complaints about overripe fruit and an overly fragrant neighbour. E-Comm says it handles about 2 million calls a year but not all of them qualify as emergencies.

List of B.C.'s worst 911 calls

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital
Police in Port Moody say a charge of assault causing bodily harm has been approved against a 41-year-old man with no fixed address. He is scheduled to appear in court in Port Coquitlam on Feb. 10.

Man charged after nurse attacked, seriously injured at B.C. hospital

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access
Rogers says in a statement that the new cellular towers along Highway 16 in northern B.C. will cover 166 kilometres where wireless service gaps previously existed. The company says that when the final two out of 11 towers are erected, the new wireless coverage will "ensure continuous coverage" on the entire 720-kilometre stretch of highway from Prince George to Prince Rupert.

Rogers activates new cellular towers on B.C.'s Highway of Tears to boost 911 access

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions
The federal government plans to extend the deadline for claiming charitable donations on tax returns through to the end of February. The announcement from Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc comes nearly a week after the premiers called on Justin Trudeau's government to make the move.

Federal government plans to extend deadline for charitable donation tax deductions

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father
Police issued an emergency alert Monday in the search for an armed and dangerous suspect in a double homicide in Calgary. Insp. Lee Wayne with the major crimes unit said 38-year-old Benedict Kaminski was wanted in the killings. He urged residents to be vigilant and not open their doors to strangers.

Police issue alert for armed suspect in Calgary killings of woman and her father