Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. doubles relief grants for certain businesses

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Jan, 2022 01:39 PM
  • B.C. doubles relief grants for certain businesses

VICTORIA - More financial help is on the way for British Columbia businesses forced to stay closed for at least another month as the province tries to contain the spread of the Omicron variant of COVID-19.

A statement from the Ministry of Jobs, Economic Recovery and Innovation says businesses including event venues, bars, nightclubs and lounges that don't serve full meals are eligible for grants of up to $20,000, based on staffing levels.

The funds, which double the amount available to those businesses, can be claimed through the provincial COVID-19 Closure Relief Grant.

Businesses ordered by the provincial health officer to remain closed until at least Feb. 16 are eligible for the larger amount, while those that have been allowed to reopen can claim up to $10,000.

The province says the $4-million extension of the grant program complements existing federal assistance, including the Local Lockdown Program and the Canada Worker Lockdown Benefit, which provide wage, rent or income support to those affected by pandemic-related closures.

Ravi Kahlon, the minister of jobs, economic recovery and innovation, says the province has increased the funding because some sectors are still affected by public health measures.

The Omicron variant is also forcing service changes in the Northern, Interior and Island health authorities. All three have announced adjustments in anticipation of staffing shortages and an increase in patients because of a wave of COVID-19 infections. 

Each authority has postponed surgeries, while Island and Interior Health are relocating staff in an effort to maintain safe patient care. 

Interior Health says in a news release that it has closed in-patient services at health centres in Clearwater, Invermere and Lillooet to stabilize emergency departments. It says those who have been affected by the closures will be contacted.

On Vancouver Island, staffing levels at larger acute care sites are being beefed up by moving ambulatory and surgical workers to areas of critical demand, Island Health says. 

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has warned that a peak of COVID-19 patients will be arriving in hospitals this week after infections in the community topped out earlier this month. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 19, 2022.

MORE National ARTICLES

New Westminster Police investigate homicide at coffee house

New Westminster Police investigate homicide at coffee house
The male, who was suffering from life-threatening injuries, was transported to the Royal Columbian Hospital where lifesaving interventions continued; however, he did not survive. IHIT has assumed conduct of this investigation and will be working in partnership with the New Westminster Police Major Crime Unit to gather evidence and determine motive.

New Westminster Police investigate homicide at coffee house

More than 1M COVID-19 doses wasted: survey

More than 1M COVID-19 doses wasted: survey
The survey suggests at least 1,016,669 doses have been rejected since vaccines first arrived last December. That's about 2.6 per cent of the entire supply delivered to the provinces and territories that provided their numbers.    

More than 1M COVID-19 doses wasted: survey

B.C. restaurants struggle with supply after floods

B.C. restaurants struggle with supply after floods
Restaurant operators in British Columbia's southern Interior are scrambling after flooding and landslides closed highways and rail lines, cutting businesses off from the supply chains they rely on. It's the latest hurdle after 20 months of struggles through the COVID-19 pandemic and a summer of smoky skies from wildfires that wiped out tourism.

B.C. restaurants struggle with supply after floods

Health Canada approves first COVID-19 vaccine for kids aged 5 to 11

Health Canada approves first COVID-19 vaccine for kids aged 5 to 11
Health Canada has approved the first COVID-19 vaccine for children aged five to 11 in Canada, and the first shipment of doses is expected to arrive in the country by Sunday. Pfizer and its partner BioNTech submitted a request for approval of a child-sized dose of its mRNA vaccine for COVID-19 on Oct. 18.

Health Canada approves first COVID-19 vaccine for kids aged 5 to 11

Merritt, B.C., evacuees seeking help in Kamloops

Merritt, B.C., evacuees seeking help in Kamloops
Barkad Khan wiped away tears Thursday as he made another "frustrating" visit to one of the emergency reception centres set up to help residents from Merritt, B.C., who have been forced from their homes due to unprecedented flooding. Khan said he and his family, wife Afreen and daughters Mahveen and Mahira, were given just 10 minutes to get out before their home was flooded.

Merritt, B.C., evacuees seeking help in Kamloops

Military helps ramp up flood relief efforts

Military helps ramp up flood relief efforts
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth has indicated that measures could include an order preventing passage for all but essential travellers as limited access is slowly restored along some highways.

Military helps ramp up flood relief efforts