Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Nov, 2022 05:47 PM
  • B.C. drops plan to scrap individual autism funding

VICTORIA - British Columbia is retracting plans to scrap individualized funding for children with an autism diagnosis, a proposal that had sparked criticism from parents.

The announcement comes after Premier David Eby and Mitzi Dean, minister of children and family development, met with members of the group AutismBC and other stakeholders, including the First Nations Leadership Council and B.C.’s representative for children and youth.

Eby says the government will maintain individualized funding instead of phasing it out in 2025, under a plan announced in October 2021.

Eby and Dean say the government is committed to "engaging in deeper consultation" with parents, caregivers and others.

Julia Boyle, executive director of AutismBC, says in a statement that parents will be "incredibly relieved" to keep direct autism funding and service providers who already support their children.

B.C. was planning to open 40 so-called family connections centres, or hubs, to provide services, instead of directly funding parents, but that has been paused with the exception of four pilot locations.

Families of children with autism have said they would have lost funding of up to $22,000 a year until children turned six, then $6,000 annually to age 18.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the immunization campaign will also include more opportunities to get the flu vaccine as respiratory illnesses are expected to return after a decline due to COVID restrictions. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommends people receive their second booster dose at least six months or longer after their first booster.

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger
On Tuesday, September 6, at 6:30 a.m., Coquitlam RCMP frontline officers were first to respond to a report of a single vehicle collision in the 200-block of North Road, near the Coquitlam-Burnaby border. The vehicle involved left the roadway and flipped. It does not appear any other vehicles were involved.

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger

Liberal cabinet meeting in Vancouver

Liberal cabinet meeting in Vancouver
Trudeau has indicated affordability will be a key agenda item as Canadians struggle to pay their bills and inflation keeps going after bank accounts with a wrecking ball.

Liberal cabinet meeting in Vancouver

Calls to make overdose education mandatory in B.C

Calls to make overdose education mandatory in B.C
The Simon Fraser University student is among a number of advocates who deliver overdose education in B.C. schools but want such information made a mandatory part of the curriculum. The Education Ministry said it's up to each school district to determine the delivery of any programs, including whether to stock naloxone kits or train teachers how to use them. 

Calls to make overdose education mandatory in B.C

Officials plan for spread of southwest B.C. blaze

Officials plan for spread of southwest B.C. blaze
The lightning-caused fire is burning south of Highway 3 in E.C. Manning Park, roughly five kilometres southwest of the Manning Park Resort.

Officials plan for spread of southwest B.C. blaze

B.C. group has close encounter with orcas

B.C. group has close encounter with orcas
Van Sittert, who had been seated on a rock above, said she was initially worried for MacNab's safety because of the whales' high-speed approach, but describes the encounter as "easily one of the most exciting moments" of her life.

B.C. group has close encounter with orcas